1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Tick Eggs - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

High Desert Cowboy- Life on the old California Trail

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by High Desert Cowboy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jan 16, 2018
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

RANGE WAR!!!!! :lol:

I understand the western concept of "owning water rights". I just can't imagine someone would buy land that had NO water rights. If one lived on a piece of property that gets as little rain as you do, they couldn't even flush a toilet!

2. Jan 16, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses True BYH Addict

Well, thanks. Your explanation helps me visualize. I understand the mineral, water rights issues are deep. But, I have never heard it expressed in he manner you did, so it peaked my questions. Had you said you had "X" of gal you could use -- ok. It is obvious that I am blessed to live in an area that has no such limits.

After purchase and when preping for well, I found that I sat on top of the major aquafer in the area. It was DEEP and cost to drill but, it's unlimited for use. No one monitors me or my use. The rain is mine, also :p It is a gift and should never be otherwise, IMO. We all have our beliefs.

Glad you have what you do -- sounds like an area of concerns.

3. Jan 16, 2018
    High Desert Cowboy

High Desert Cowboy Loving the herd life

@Mini Horses sorry for the confusion we talk about water here as acre shares and didn’t realize folks back east don’t necessarily use the same terms for water shares.
    @Bruce don’t worry the toilets flush fine my children prove that constantly. Fortunately they haven’t learned things besides water disappear when they flush. As for buying without water it’s not uncommon if people just want property to distance themselves from their neighbors or live out in the country. For me like I said the location is great and another big draw was it was somewhere i could keep my horses and afford. This is our first home and we managed to purchase it right out of college. More water would be nice but to have that in this location would be more than I could afford even now.

CntryBoy777 and Wehner Homestead like this.
  4. Jan 20, 2018
    High Desert Cowboy

426EC5AD-DCAB-4991-BE6B-D274AF2C1645.jpeg Finally! It started snowing early in the morning today and it’s set to snow into tomorrow morning. We were getting nervous that it was never going to snow, as they kept saying it was going to come later and later (supposed to start yesterday afternoon) but I guess it was just letting me get home from my UPPA meeting. I haven’t been so excited to see snow since my first winter in Utah

5. Jan 20, 2018
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

You are celebrating its arrival and we are celebrating its Departure.....:) :weee
    It stayed above freezing last night for the first time in a long while....now dealing with the thawing ground....nice slick clay, but I ain't complaining....:thumbsup

6. Jan 20, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Thought about you the other night while looking at the weather channel. They were showing the snow cover moving in over Salt Lake city and talking about how much everyone as going to get. Glad you're finally getting some much needed moisture.

7. Jan 21, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

@High Desert Cowboy puts on his white nija suit at midnight and goes to the open land and starts rolling huge snowballs to his land......he works all night and by daylight has a snow mountain that will water his other 3 acres........more snow falls and covers his snowball trails......

8. Jan 21, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

9. Jan 22, 2018
    High Desert Cowboy

Hahaha that’s not a bad idea @Baymule. The snow is all iced up now though and won’t pack well for snowballs it’s -2 out there.

Wehner Homestead and Baymule like this.
  10. Jan 22, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Loving the herd life

The snow here has been to dry for building a snowman the last two years. DD1 would love to build a real snowman but has had to settle for small ones that are just snow pushed into a small mound.

You could always use a tractor with a FEL to push snow where you want it! Lol DH does that to open up our driveway when we get too much snow but it’s been a few years since he’s needed to do that.