High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
all the land directly north and east of me devoted to cattle (and now sheep)
RANGE WAR!!!!! :lol:

I understand the western concept of "owning water rights". I just can't imagine someone would buy land that had NO water rights. If one lived on a piece of property that gets as little rain as you do, they couldn't even flush a toilet!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, thanks. Your explanation helps me visualize. I understand the mineral, water rights issues are deep. But, I have never heard it expressed in he manner you did, so it peaked my questions. Had you said you had "X" of gal you could use -- ok. It is obvious that I am blessed to live in an area that has no such limits.

After purchase and when preping for well, I found that I sat on top of the major aquafer in the area. It was DEEP and cost to drill but, it's unlimited for use. No one monitors me or my use. The rain is mine, also :p It is a gift and should never be otherwise, IMO. We all have our beliefs.

Glad you have what you do -- sounds like an area of concerns.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Mini Horses sorry for the confusion we talk about water here as acre shares and didn’t realize folks back east don’t necessarily use the same terms for water shares.
@Bruce don’t worry the toilets flush fine my children prove that constantly. Fortunately they haven’t learned things besides water disappear when they flush. As for buying without water it’s not uncommon if people just want property to distance themselves from their neighbors or live out in the country. For me like I said the location is great and another big draw was it was somewhere i could keep my horses and afford. This is our first home and we managed to purchase it right out of college. More water would be nice but to have that in this location would be more than I could afford even now.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
426EC5AD-DCAB-4991-BE6B-D274AF2C1645.jpeg
Finally! It started snowing early in the morning today and it’s set to snow into tomorrow morning. We were getting nervous that it was never going to snow, as they kept saying it was going to come later and later (supposed to start yesterday afternoon) but I guess it was just letting me get home from my UPPA meeting. I haven’t been so excited to see snow since my first winter in Utah

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thought about you the other night while looking at the weather channel. They were showing the snow cover moving in over Salt Lake city and talking about how much everyone as going to get. Glad you're finally getting some much needed moisture.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
The snow here has been to dry for building a snowman the last two years. DD1 would love to build a real snowman but has had to settle for small ones that are just snow pushed into a small mound.

You could always use a tractor with a FEL to push snow where you want it! Lol DH does that to open up our driveway when we get too much snow but it’s been a few years since he’s needed to do that.