High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
WOW, great news all around it seems :weee Nothing serious (or inherently deadly), and a new branch for your family tree! Congrats!

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

It’s snowing! Not real hard mind you but I’ll take what I can get. And the ducks are happy as can be

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure glad for ya....ours like to run around eating the snow. We've had rain all nite and day here...poured 3" out of the gauge around 12:30 and it is still falling here....our ducks are swimming in the field having a Blast!!....:)

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well it’s been a busy day. Picked up most of the posts for our future sheep corral today. A rancher friend replaced his heifer pen with steel posts like we did his horse corral and lots of the posts were still in good shape so he gifted them to me for all my help. What I can’t use as posts will make great firewood.

Also got a deal started for some yearling lambs. A friend got some bottle fed lambs last year for his kids to learn some life skills (getting a loan, responsibility in raising animals, marketing said animals to repay the loan, etc) and they’ve been looking to get them sold. It’s a ewe and ram and there’s a possibility the ewes pregnant. So I asked him what he wanted for them (the kid is 8) and he’ll get back to me with some pricing. He was actually looking up market values on the computer when I left! I had the same plan for my boy this year, and I’ll still probably wind up with some bottle lambs for him this year but we are making progress towards having sheep

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So there I was all set to start putting up new corrals, and it dumps snow. Today it’s snowing again. Supposed to snow again Tuesday. I’m grateful I really am, but the timing was terrible.
Good news is we are now at 40% of normal. It’s been the driest winter in 30 years, and it’s really sad to compare current snow pack to what it was this time last year, 148% of normal. It would take several weeks of snow to get where we need to be, but every little bit helps and until this is done I probably won’t be building any penning.