High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
8C6BC7C9-D24C-46E1-989D-B57C6DDC7348.jpeg
2D2895E7-3035-46FF-99D1-D4E026C43625.jpeg

So im revamping the horse corral, and unfortunately i wont have time to finish it before dark so i put the horses with the sheep and kept an eye on them to make sure everyone played nice. Turns out theyre the best of friends and theyre super good together. It only for a day though. Also even though i swore up and down i wouldnt get a third dog, my wife finally talked me into taking one of my friends puppies. Theyre well bred dogs and this little girl will be a great cow dog. Meet Bella

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck on getting the horse corral done! Glad everyone is playing nicely in the meantime.

Congrats on this new addition! What breed is she? I really like her markings.

Speaking of additions...how’s the pregnant wife, baby, and other kiddos?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bella is 3/4 border collie and 1/4 Aussie. Her mom is a red and white border collie and comes from some of the best cattle bred border collies in southern Utah. Her dad is a border/Aussie cross and is actually a half brother to my dog Kya.
The wife and kids are good we’re getting ready to go through a summer pregnant as the baby isn’t due until September. From what I’ve been told that’s pretty miserable so here we go we’re seeing temps in the 90s pretty regular and it’ll just get hotter around here.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
As someone that has been pregnant in summer...shade and stay hydrated are the two keys if outside. (I wouldn’t recommend spraying her with a hose unless you want to sleep with Bella! Though the thought made me lol!)

I have two Aussies and love them! Thought I was completely a German Shepherd person but really like my Aussies. Think I’ll get another in the next few years. (Gotta get another LGD or two raised up first.)

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@CntryBoy777 Im sorry to say that the Indian runners are no longer with us. The neighbors dogs came back, dug into the duck pen and killed another and left another one critically injured, I ended up having to euthanize her. So we had one left and so I gave her to a friend who had some runners and he gives me regular updates. The neighbors dogs are officially gone though, while they were loose they killed 5 of his chickens so he sent them down the road. We probably won’t be getting more ducks but my mom has offered me 5 Sussex chickens. Just gotta work on my wife now she’s deathly afraid of chickens haha. I guess when she was little they had some and they had a big rooster that attacked her and traumatized her for life. We were collecting eggs for my mom and the chickens came running up and she acted like they were a pack of dinosaurs from Jurassic park!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good grief on the dogs! Sorry to hear about your ducks!

Oh my! I can’t say as I blame your wife. Reassuring her that roosters and hens are two different things may help. I really like my hens and DH was deathly afraid of chickens and actually likes the hens for the most part now. The kids and I pick them up and carry them around. Ours know I bring treats and get all excited to see me.

One option to consider would be a chicken tractor. They are contained so they can’t get her but can be moved around to mimic more of a free range concept and less feed consumption.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about those little cuties....but, I understand the problem. That is hilarious about your wife.....don't tell her I said that.....but, that reminds me of my oldest brother and his 1st wife.....she was a city girl and they lived with us on a 180acre farm....we had 2doz RIR chickens and 2-3 roos.....we called the top one Big Red and he was mean....she was outside in the backyard one day and we heard her hollaring my brother's name, we went out to see what was going on and she was up an extension ladder up in a pecan tree and Big Red was at the bottom looking up at her.....once she got down she never went outside again unless it was to get into the car to leave.....;)