High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Aren't those sheep panels like twice the price though Mike? Here they are prohibitively expensive, or were last I checked into them. The basic cattle panel at 16' x 50" works great to build a hoop hut... And they're about 20 bucks if I recall.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mine is (still) covered with tarp, and I don't have (yet) T-posts pounded in along the outside to tie the panel to, to keep the sides near vertical, nor do I have internal bracing/wood structure to keep it up. As this batch of kids has grown, they have become rather destructive in their ever playful way by running across the pen full speed and running up the side of the hoop hut as high as they can or throwing themselves against it like a cross body block in ice hockey. They have nearly folded it in 1/2 as well as ripped a very large tear up the side. Since I'm about to re-do their pen to segregate out my buck from his ladies until the proper time arrives for him to have his way with them, I hope to rectify these issues. I had planned to attach corrugated roofing lengthwise down the hoop to cover it but that still wouldn't fix the issue of them trying to climb it.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have started to replace the tarps that have been destroyed by the sheep rubbing on them with 10' tarps for the 16' panels since the sheep pushing on them to scratch destroy the tarps fairly fast. We are going to put plywood on the inside of the permanent shelters and leave a small gap between the plywood and the tarps. That should give some ventilation but still give them a wind break. I'm going to make 3 or 4 portable hoop houses since we finally have our pasture fences set.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
888F0230-3AB6-4842-9DC8-D8D37CFED2BD.jpeg
Not a whole lots been going on, but here’s a picture of the twins