High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shortly before I picked her up the ram had jumped in with a load of cows he was selling.
Almost exactly how I ended up with the 1st, last and only head of sheep I ever had on my property.
I had bought a little bunch of cattle from someone nearby, and it jumped the owner's fence when we started to drive the cattle down to my place. Told him I did NOT want it and he said he would come back and get it later. He didn't and it layed under a bush and died 2 days later, and I got my backhoe horribly bogged down burying the thing.

Found out a few days later it had just wandered up onto neighbor's place and he couldn't find the owner and his wife wouldn't let him shoot it..

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that I could never make it as a single parent. As we’ve gotten closer to the baby getting here my wife has been less and less able to help out. She’s had some health problems with this pregnancy. So after work I’ve been having to cook, clean, take care of critters and stop my kids from murdering each other while making sure my wife is somewhat comfortable. Of course our neighbors have been great for which I’m grateful. Though I could do without dinners being brought containing pasta sauce. My 21 month old daughter has an incredible gift in getting pasta sauce smeared over every square inch of her body.
But I’m getting caught up today on everyone’s going’s on and can add a couple updates for my herd. The babies are fat and the moms are too. I can actually go into the pen and handle all of my sheep without any trouble or anyone attempting to run off, but of course I always go in with my back up and they make sure no one tries to run off. We’ve also got chickens on the way in the next few weeks, probably once the baby gets here and I can finally get back to catching up on all my outside chores.
I also may have been able to get my foot in with the Muslim market. My new stepmom has some friends who were looking for a lamb for one of their holidays and they mentioned I had some lambs. Unfortunately at this time I don’t have anything that meets their criteria but we talked about next year and they know some other people who will be needing lamb as well. So the goal for the future is to have “unblemished” lambs available for them for next year and see how it plays out.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I’m relaxing on the couch when my 9 year old son says “hey dad how come you keep grabbing the sheep and petting on them?” I explained I was trying to get them to relax more around me and so I was showing them I’m not all bad. He mentions I never do that with Shaun the katahdin ram. Well I can’t catch the filthy beggar. “Well dad why don’t you rope him?” I think back to my post on here asking the question and figure sure why not. “Now?” So I get up and he gets me his soft practice rope. Now being Sunday I relax in shorts (this is never done outside my home, I’m very much a jeans and boots person) and feeling a little lazy I decide I’m just going to throw flip flops on. First rule of handling livestock, always wear closed toed shoes. In my laziness I didn’t even think about it. I turn Kya and Bella loose and have them corner up the sheep for me and shake out a loop and explain to my son I’m going to use a head loop that works great for bunched up cattle. I let fly the loop, perfect catch. I reelShaun in and grab hold of his head, dads a hero. And then here comes Bella, who decides I need help holding this rogue sheep. Now he goes berserk, plants a foot onto one of my exposed piggies and leaps for the stars. Now I can’t react I have my boy watching me. So I reel Shaun back in, turn him loose, and walk back to the house with my son still in awe of dad.
Never, ever, wear flip flops with livestock. And never trust a young pups down.

Reminds me of a certain someone that once roped a fully mature Braford from the seat of a 8n tractor.... ONCE

Last edited:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
79A43D75-61FA-4BEB-B4D3-BF7C262079AE.jpeg
79A43D75-61FA-4BEB-B4D3-BF7C262079AE.jpeg
D1ED64CF-4797-4536-85A5-3003BDD67F93.jpeg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that I could never make it as a single parent. As we’ve gotten closer to the baby getting here my wife has been less and less able to help out.

You'd probably do fine, as most do, and it's more and more common nowadays. Raised 4 myself as a single parent.
Wasn't easy as with 2 parents but it's not nearly as bad as some things in life.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
454A0D05-82C6-4500-80DD-A875D7ABF63E.jpeg
454A0D05-82C6-4500-80DD-A875D7ABF63E.jpeg

I managed to get out and be somewhat productive today and went to get some firewood. Right as I got home the wind picks up blowing like crazy so I went inside to relax and wait for my help to arrive so I could unload it. Suddenly there’s a loud thump and a crash and my kids trampoline had gone from the back yard to the front yard. The thump was it’s brief contact with my roof on the way over and the crash was the ladder going through my kitchen window. So before we unloaded we moved the trampoline behind the house and as you can see we’ve attempted to prevent any more aerial stunts.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to say, looks like a heavy load, prior to reading your post. I hope you have no repairs on the roof, and the window won't be too big a task. That scenario sounds exactly like everyday for me too.
Sometimes you have to laugh to let out some of the crazy because keeping it in would be detrimental to someone. :gig

Latest posts