High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would very much like to backhand the person who came up with daylight savings, as they have effectively ruined my after work schedule. It has been crazy busy at work lately where we’ve been doing a lot of sow movement (imagine a game of musical chairs with 5000+ sows) so of course I’ve been getting home late, meaning by the time I get home there is no light to do anything. I don’t know how those poor Alaska folks get anything accomplished in the winter. But I did manage to finish moving my stove upstairs which is a blessing as apparently it’s supposed to snow on Friday. We’re pretty much ready for winter there was just a couple more things I wanted to get done before I had to do it in the snow.
I had an offer to put my horses on pasture with a friends horses but I had to unfortunately decline as they had their 4 horses out there as well and two are mares. I don’t know what Bro’s deal is if he was proudcut or if it’s his proud Arab blood but he’s an absolute jerk to other geldings when he’s got some ladies to impress. When I was wrangling in Colorado I had to put him separate because he’d fought with every horse in the paddock for some mare or another. I didn’t want to be paying a Vet bill for my friends horse in the event he decided to tear someone up.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something tells me that ya'd rather have your work patners closeby, so ya can check on them yourself....you would sure miss them if they were out of sight and they certainly would be much happier with it being your hand feeding the oats, treats, and hay.....:)

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Touche
I hear the Alaska summers are a trip with it staying light so late.
And while I do like to keep an eye on my boys (especially Jack wheres he’s given me the colic scare) it is sort of nice to not have to buy feed for a month or two. It’d be so nice to have some water rights to do some pasture at my place. We have 5 acres but we only have 1.3 acres of water rights so watering a pasture is out of the question and we only average about 12 inches of rain a year. Part of the glory of living in the desert I get 5 acres of good green grass for a few weeks of the year before it gets killed in the heat and plenty of sagebrush. Is there anything that can live off sagebrush? Besides the jack rabbits of course though I think I’ve thinned their numbers considerably from the porch.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Touche
I hear the Alaska summers are a trip with it staying light so late.
And while I do like to keep an eye on my boys (especially Jack wheres he’s given me the colic scare) it is sort of nice to not have to buy feed for a month or two. It’d be so nice to have some water rights to do some pasture at my place. We have 5 acres but we only have 1.3 acres of water rights so watering a pasture is out of the question and we only average about 12 inches of rain a year. Part of the glory of living in the desert I get 5 acres of good green grass for a few weeks of the year before it gets killed in the heat and plenty of sagebrush. Is there anything that can live off sagebrush?
hart-mountain-12-sagebrush-cattle.jpg

nevada_family_receives_environmental_stewardship_award_2_635895775683517204.jpg

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow that looks a lot like the grazing around here. Cattle generally graze on the grass around the base of the sage brush, but it did bring to mind a paper I read a while back. Looking into it cattle can be trained to eat sagebrush but otherwise they’ll leave it be unless they have no other option, kinda like when they get to eating pine needles which isn’t good.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Baymule i can’t imagine that much rainfall! Around here water is worth more than land. We get some flooding sometimes in the spring with the snow melt off the mountains but to have that much water falling on me I think I might panic and start building an ark.