High Fever in Week Old Buckling

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now one of the other guys has a fever and won't take his bottle. Vet told us to give him the other two shots for Owen and we'll pick more up tomorrow. He's at 103.7 and acting worse than Owen. The vet said Owen's upbeat attitude was an exception though considering his fever.

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry... sounds like viral and contagious... Are you able to separate them out away from any others? at least till they're cleared up? Good luck with it all.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry... sounds like viral and contagious... Are you able to separate them out away from any others? at least till they're cleared up? Good luck with it all.

I checked everyone's temps as soon as I got home and everyone has a fever. I'm going back tomorrow to get meds for everyone. :( When it rains, it pours.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Came home and realized every single one of my Draxxin shots were full of air. Obviously the office person who filled it didn't do it correctly or used a near empty bottle and couldn't be bothered to get another. Oh well, my fault for not checking at the vet's office.
I had to go back the next day and pick up a new round of them. Everyone's fevers are coming down and their attitudes are much, much better. My two 5 week old bucklings are a little mopey because they were just banded but otherwise they are all doing well.

24 hour difference after receiving .2cc Draxxin, .2cc Excede, and .2cc Banamine:
5 wk buckling: 104 -> 102.9
5 wk buckling (2): 103 -> 102.5
4 wk doeling: 103.9 -> 103.2
8 wk doeling: 103.7 -> 102.9
2 wk buckling: 103.3 -> 102.9

I'll be checking temps again tonight and repeating every night until they've received all of their meds. I'll update after taking temps tonight!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, you have your hands full. I hope they all turn around quickly, poor little things, and poor you.

I had three goats sick in one night, all something different, and it was difficult so I understand what you are going through.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Temps all went up last night.

5 wk buckling: 103.1
5 wk buckling (2): 104
4 wk doeling: 104.7
8 wk doeling: 103.8
2 wk buckling: 103.2

Everyone got another Banamine shot and a cup of electrolytes an hour after their last bottle. This is getting to be so frustrating and I feel awful for my poor babies. They're getting medicine but a few of them have fevers that are way past their initial fevers.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess would be that it is viral and it may have to run its course. You could ask your vet to do a culture and send it in. With this many sick it might be helpful to know exactly what it is you are dealing with.