High Heat and Goats

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am trying to find out if goats will use a kiddie pool with water in it to cool down? It's supposed to be 109* today with a heat index of well over 115*.

Unfortunately, I didn't think about it before going to work and it's now too late to get one out there. In the future, is this something I can do to help keep them cool?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, my goats would do no more than LAY NEAR that water. Especially dairy breeds, most do not want to be in water. I've often thought a wide moat would be less expensive and more containing than any fence. :D

My chickens like to wade into cool shallow water puddles when hot out.

What I have found works is to hose a spot where the goats like lay, the night before. It helps keep the ground cooler, esp if it is in the shade during the day. I routinely hosed the aisle in our barns when I kept mares in stalls at night. The ceiling fans pulled the moist air up, evaporation helped cool.

Are you able to put a fan in their barn/shelter? air movement is a help with most any temp.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mine avoid water like the plague... Even a wet spot on the ground is something they seem to avoid. Long as they have shade and there's some air movement, hopefully they'll be fine. Make sure they have plenty of water to drink as well.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine normally are all over me until I turn on the hose they look offended and run away lol. I agree with latestarter mine avoid the ground if it's wet or if there a tiny puddle. Mine are fine in South Texas heat 100-110 without heat index I never remember what that been. But as long as their shade and lots of water to drink(I refill the forty gallon trough most mornings to keep it cool) they have been fine.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can set up misters- I believe @babsbag can tell you more about them.

Our Lamanchas like to be hosed down (most of them) but I don't think they'd do anything but chew the kidding pool. LOL
Fans fans and more fans.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think it was Will Pearson? who raised Saanens down in Georgia, who told the tale of missing goats that were found up to their necks, literally with only head sticking out of water, in the creek one very hot GA day. He said they all looked like they had been caught doing something bad, and slowly came up out of the creek. These were world class dairy goats, too. Winners at National show, etc.... So, you never know.

It got hot enough one time for my turkeys to run the ducks and geese out of the kiddy pools and hunker down to get cool.

My goats like misters I hang in the trees. It does take some time to get them used to it the first time. But, when it gets really hot, they figure it out pretty quick. You want a very, very, fine mist and have some gravel or sand to keep from making a puddle. We used to make our own from sprayer parts. Now you can buy them at a RV center.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They survived with flying colors! Even the rabbits did ok! The goats, it didn't even seem to phase them so that's good. I was really worried about them in the heat. Thank you everyone!

Latest posts