High Tensile Electric Parts and Design Check

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Mike CHS - sheep are not one of the livestock animals we have considered for our farm. My husband and I were just talking about where we are going next, what we want to keep, our ultimate goals etc... We want Bison, Nubians, and Red Wattle Hogs. No sheep or cattle. Oh yeah, we do love our Orpingtons. :D Of course, if we did get sheep we could actually get our county extension officer to pay attention to us... Still...:hu

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nope, no sheep for us. We have had the goats and chickens for 6 years and pigs for most of that as well.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If either of you @Bruce or @greybeard think the ceramic is weaker and my plan wont work let me know so I don't waste the money!
For line posts, the screw-in lag bolt porcelain insulators should hold up fine. Only problem I've ever had with them was years ago, naively trying to use them on the ends of a run. Pulled the lag bolt right out of the post when I stretched the wire, but I stretch HT pretty tight.

If you're getting bison, plan on a hot as hades energizer. Lots of insulating hair on them critters and they aren't a bit shy about testing any fence.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you're getting bison, plan on a hot as hades energizer. Lots of insulating hair on them critters and they aren't a bit shy about testing any fence.

Thanks! We have a 30 mile charger on about 8 acres at the moment. How hot would you suggest? The main pasture would be around 20 acres.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! We have a 30 mile charger on about 8 acres at the moment. How hot would you suggest? The main pasture would be around 20 acres.
Most 30 mile chargers are less than 2 joules. A good one like a Parmak Mk8 with 4 jules should do the trick.
When I was living in San Angelo Tx 10 yrs ago, the herd at the state park was contained with 8 strand 3/8 or 1/2 cable on sawed up utility poles for line posts..top cable 5' from ground level. A tall fence is imperative for bison.

According to Frasier Bison LLC, a group that has lots of experience with them, if electric is the primary containment method, this species is the rare exception to "do not use barb wire for electric fences"

Electric wire or hot-wire can be an effective tool for certain situations with bison, but should never be relied on for containment by itself. When hot-wire is used, barb wire should be used in order to penetrate the hair coat and deliver a deterring shock. Smooth wire may work if the bison touch it with their nose or short-haired areas, but overall it is not as effective.
Here's some more:
https://frasierbison.com/bison-consultation/bison-fencing/

Yamabushi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use powerflex for the high tensile wire and i also use their G2 and fiberglass posts. They have really high quality woven or single strand wire that is pretty much unmatched. They also sell irrigation line (high density) that has pretty much become the industry leader in quality irrigation piping.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I did my electric fence like that around my garden when in the pasture. It worked great and was only 32" high being an interior fence. It supprise me they didn't jump over it. But I did have the bottom wire 4" off the ground. The baby goats kept trying to go under it and we're trapped on the other side. Then mom would horn the fence.

Tokoloshe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The porcelain ones have to be threaded and draw ALL the wire through them. The plastic ring insulators you may pull out the wire and slot it onto the insulator by the convenient slit in the side.

There is no need to use strainers, the fence uses electricity to keep the animals in not the strength of the fence. You do not need to be able to play a guitar solo on the fence. Hand tight is plenty.

High strain wire is difficult to use, 7 strand wire is far easier to use.

These Doughnut corner insulators work very well otherwise simply us a ring insulator and no the wire does not pop off.

The rule for electric fencing is to Keep it Simple, it is really not rocket science.

Latest posts