Highland calf with protein deficiency

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hadn't thought that far; it's in April maybe? I didn't get to the Va farm show, had several farms that were scheduled to test that week,( I am a DHIA milk tester), and the one day I might have managed it was raining. Right now with my joint issues, it hurts to do much walking so I have been trying to take it easy. But yes, I do try to go to most of the different "offerings" to see things and people and it is good to get out and do some mingling. Keep me posted on it and if you are going to go I will make it a goal to go and meet you. It would be great to be able to spend a bit just talking and sharing "tales"...

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's the weekend before Easter. I'm going to try to go. The Highland Show is not going the be here this year. They scheduled it for June and about 6.6 hours away from me, so I won't be going there.

The calf is eating a whole 2 quarts now, still broken up into 3 feedings.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A lot has already been said about this but I get my bottle calves on grain at 7 days old. I do it a few ways.

I have a grain bottle that attaches to the fence that I always leave full of grain, its always there... they see the bottle and often they will suckle and they will get grain. I always offer free choice grain from a week old but leaving it in a pale never works.

After every feed I put grain handfuls into their mouth. I keep feeding until they starting spitting out all the grain.

With some calves I actually put grain in the bottle with their milk. Gets it in their bellies.

Buy the highest quality calf grain you can buy with the highest protein %. Its usually a difference of a dollar or two and when you're only feeding one the increase is so minor you don't notice it.

I always feed 3 feedings a day rather than 2 until they are 2 months old. 6am, 12pm and 6pm. My calves that got 3 feedings a day grew bigger and then I had the opportunity to get more grain in their bellies.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Calf is doing great. She's eating 2 quarts of grain a day and getting 2-3 quarts of milk. Starting to fill in around the ribs. It's been slow going for her, but she's finally on the fast track.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear! Hope she continues to grow out well and fast.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have hit the right "formula" to get her going. I am really glad she is doing good and sounds like she is really eating. I probably wouldn't push too much more grain as you can cause her to get a "ph" imbalance and her gut tract to get too acidic. If she seems to be improving then I would kinda hold it where it is and if anything maybe add a little alfalfa for the protein and the roughage. With the weather being warmer than normal, I image you are seeing a bit more grass over there than we are. I know that you run 2-3 weeks ahead of us in temps and garden season. If she gets to eating some grass that will help to encourage her eating/grazing. It will make her loose for awhile. Also, if you feed loose minerals, make sure it is Hi-mag to offset the lush grass.
Any new pics? Also, I am hoping to go to the Beef expo, either that Fri or Sat. Maybe we can catch up?

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good point about not over loading her. I may have pushed it the other day, then backed off.
I'm going to get her out on some pasture this week. I'm trying to halter break her some too.
I'm going to the beef expo on Thurs, because that's my only day off. I was hoping to show,but they moved the Highland show. So I'm going to shop. Need a chute. Photos soon.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to not be able to go to the Expo on Thursday but I have a 250 cow dairy to test that afternoon and they start at 1:30 pm so it would be next to impossible for me to get my own chores all done and get there before I would have to leave. Maybe another time....

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's a lot of chores farmerjan. Here's a few recent photos. She had a very good vet appt the other day.
She's almost doubled her weight in 8 weeks.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is soooooo cute. Makes me think of the "baby doll sheep" that are popular. Funny thing is, before they became the "rage" we called them "southdowns" up in Ct where I was from, and they were popular due to their easy care, and good growth, and great dispositions. And of course their easy handling size.
Great that the vet appt. went well and she's growing. Her pictures just makes you want to pick her up and hug her!!!!!