Hills and Horses

WesternChick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 8 year old Quarter Horse mare. and I've had a problem, she hates going down hills! she gets all nervous and tosses her head she actually bucked once.... I have no clue what to do about it HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idunno :hu :hit

She is pretty "green" she's only been ridden maybe..... 30 times but we've worked with the saddle on lunging her around in our round pen and she's done really good with that. :)

I ride western with a copper wire snaffle bit, she does not neck rein. the bit fits well along with all the other tack. I groom her befor i ride so there isn't any dirt under the saddle. :idunno

she's pretty sound and dosn't spook easily. :D :idunno

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I would get off and lead her down hills for a bit, to see if she just needs to learn to balance herself better or if she has some injury that is only showing up with the increased demands of going downhill. It will also show you if she is worried about balancing you, or if your saddle goes forward a bit and pinches her shoulders or rubs her hair (does it look ruffled up after?)

She probably just needs to develop a higher degree of fitness and balance to manage hills comfortably with a rider. Even though she is eight, 30 rides is not a lot.....especially if those rides were spread out over 4-5 years. Work with her on the flat with some downward transitions, too, spending plenty of time with downward transitions within the gaits first, then from walk to halt, jog to walk, and lope to jog. This will help her develop those stopping muscles deep in her chest and will help her learn to get her hind end underneath herself to balance. Then introduce those transitions on large circles, then smaller circles, and in the corners, over the next 2-3 months, working with her several times a week.

Hope this helps!

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
also do you ride with a friend.

taking a skilled horse along would help.

plus if you are chatting with your friend, relaxing in the saddle, it might make a difference how she preforms. when we get tense, she will get tense.

so stay loose, deep back seat in the saddle and a good horse along side might help.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree with the above posts. Even at 8, she is still green. Work with her on a lead, and don you be nervous--she will sense that. Keep a handful of treats and praise her. Go with an experienced horse, first with her on a lead, then with you on her. It's amazing what green horses can learn from having an experience horse with them. Be calm. Sit deep in the saddle and give her her head. If she does not have enough of the reins, she will not have enough control. You have to let HER do it. Praise and ecourage and you should be fine in no time.

WesternChick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks for all your help!!!!! I'm planning on riding today so I'll practice what you've told me. Thank you so much!!!!!! :D :weee

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WesternChick said:
thanks for all your help!!!!! I'm planning on riding today so I'll practice what you've told me. Thank you so much!!!!!! :D :weee
Good luck and have fun! It's too cold for me to ride this weekend (yes I'm a wimp). I remember the first time I went downhill on a horse. He was fine--I was freaking!!! it's all good now!

WesternChick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
WesternChick said:
Good luck and have fun! It's too cold for me to ride this weekend (yes I'm a wimp). I remember the first time I went downhill on a horse. He was fine--I was freaking!!! it's all good now!
do u really live in canada!!!! wow it must be cold :frow

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WesternChick said:
miss_thenorth said:
WesternChick said:
do u really live in canada!!!! wow it must be cold :frow
I'm about an hour east of Detroit, MI, and we've had really mild weather all november. Today it's just above freezing, but all month, it's been like 50-60 F Not usual, we're normally around freezing this time of year. I used to live up near Timmins ON--now that's north (but I loved it and miss it still) It was sweater weather up until today, and this weekend is going to be cool.

pitchfork

Just born
Reaction score
You did not mention whether your horse is shod or not. Going down hill always places a tremendous amount of weight on the front feet. I have never known a horse that did not prefer going up hill to down, and have ridden many rocky trails where my horse or someone elses horse showed no sign of soreness until we headed down a rocky slope. If the horse is shod and still does not like going down hill then it could just be, as others have posted, that the horse needs work, needs to be muscled up and in shape for the work. There is also the posibility that at some point the horse has foundered and has some rotation of the coffin bone. Adding the stress of going down hill can cause a slightly bad foot to become painful when going down hill. The same is true for tendon problems, and knee problems. Have you had the horse checked for soundness. I assume you have but you don't know until you ask. So I always start with the general health of the animal.
If you have not, then have a vet check for soundness, especially the front end, as this is what takes the pounding when going down hill. If the horse is sound then follow the good advice already given by others and good luck.