Hog feed recipe, Help needed

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been trying to work up a recipe for pig feed using what I can get in my area. But I do not want to use corn or soy.
protein parts
Wheat, white and red 16% x3
Peas, yellow and green 24% x1
lentils, 24% x1
Total protein 20%

Calf Manna 5 lb per 100 lb

This it the base feed, that will be fed along with sprouted barley fodder. Then I will add as available,

Goat milk, only when I have extra.
HB eggs, mashed with shells and cooking water.

I was also thinking of chopped/ground alfalfa added to the base feed.

Any ideas of what I might need to add would be helpful, Also thinking of using the base feed for poultry also. All the grain is ground. Base feed works out to $280.00 ton at my cost now.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
50 lbs Dried Distillers Grains, 100 lbs Whole Wheat, 50 lbs Whole Oats, 50 lbs Peanut Hull Pellets. I used this recipe with a basic mineral mix and put some good weight on my hogs. I have some Berkshires now and can't use DDG (dried distillers grain) anymore because of the fat content. [ It gives them soft pork due to their level of intramuscular fat ]

I use corn in my feed mix now but am not a fan of soy in the least. You could also talk to your COOPs and feed mills and see what kind of basic mixes they have, or their version of 'all stock'. I have taken sacks of that, mixed it with corn and wheat, and been just fine.

Instead of hard boiling the eggs that I put in my hog's feed, I smash them in the pot and whip them a bit before adding water and boiling them. That makes more of an egg broth and I can make sure that everybody gets plenty of eggs that way.

If you are wanting to have your grains ground, you can save money buy slowly pouring them in your wood chipper if you have one. I do it all of the time and just shoot it onto a tarp. Just be sure to brush off the feed dust when you are done and you'll be fine.

I generally keep my feed running around 12-14% as an everyday ration, be careful that you don't get one that is too 'hot' or high in protein.

Latest posts