Hog first-aid kit?

ChrisM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Because of my inexperience with larger livestock (I keep bees and chickens) I paid a vet to make a house call only to administer two shots to one in my first group of hogs.
Turns out it was no big deal.
I sure would like to learn to be able to diagnose common ailments and have the correct medicines and tools on hand.
So please lend me a hand with making a list of needles, medicines (prescription and OTC) and any other first aid items that I should have on hand.
Also, is there a "WebMD" of sorts for pigs where I can study symptoms, diagnosis and the treatment of common hog ailments?
I don't intend to deal with larger life threatening issues yet but I can't pay a vet for the equivalent of the sniffles or sprained ankle again.

ChrisM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So nobody makes sure to keep certain things handy?
What size needles, what antibiotics, what are those little things that you learned to keep in case of emergencies?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would imagine it's pretty much the same general stuff animal owners keep. Is there something or are there things specific to hogs? Aside from when they are newborns, I think hogs are pretty sturdy animals. They aren't like goats or sheep that go out of their way to die overnight... Luckily, I live within a short drive of a TSC as well as an AG store and both are open basically 7 days a week. They're closed on major holidays of course, but other than that meds and supplies can be had within a couple of hours when/if needed. If it's a life or death situation, then it's likely that I'd need a vet in any case and there'd be limited stuff I could do to help in the first place. Unless you're on really good/close terms with your vet, some of the best, most common stuff (like banamine) is prescription anyway.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Latestarter, I just don't treat my hogs for much. It's a different story if you have breeders. But with feeders I generally try to start with healthy ones and keep them that way.

For my breeder hogs, I keep:
-16 and 18 gauge needles
-3cc and 6cc syringes
-injectable Ivermectin
-bluekote
-LA200
-banamine (Rx)
-beer (seriously)

For diagnosing and treating disease, check out this page on The Pig Site.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's an awesome site link MSW! Thanks for sharing it. I bookmarked it for future use :D