Hog Panels for Fencing?

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have used wooden pallets for hog fencing for 3 years now, but it's time to replace the pallets. I was thinking of just using the 16ft hog panels and NO electricity. Would that keep them in? How tall would it need to be?

Thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hog panels are rather short, a real determined hog can go over them. They are only 34" tall. I used non climb horse wire for my hog pen, it is 2"x4"x48" and it keeps them in. I have never had any to dig out, guess I've just been lucky. LOL We used one 200' roll and a 12' gate. If you like the panel idea, you can use cow panels, but the holes are big enough for small pigs to go through.

Here's a link on how I built my hog pen and Pig Palace.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/baymule’s-pigs-2018-herefords.37448/page-3

The Pig Palace is a little short, height wise, but we used the shortest light pole we had, leaving the longest poles for other future projects. Oh well, pigs are short. Right now I have a Tennessee Walker mare in the Pig Palace and pen, she barely fits under it. She is in quarantine-we bought her out of a slaughter pen.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hog paneling can get expensive, and if you have a determined pig..forget it! We used sheep/goat fencing stapled to wooden fence posts and a single strand of hot wire about 3 or so inches off the ground.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I did hog panels with a strand of electic. 4x6 post every 8 foot with 2x6 ran between with hog panel on the inside of that with electric had 4 300 lb pigs this year pen is as good as new

Latest posts