Holding tail off to the side...does that always indicate heat?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our 4-year old, presumably bred Scottish Highland has been periodically holding her tail off to the side (and a bit up) off her she-parts since Friday afternoon. It's not all the time...I'd say probably 2/3 of the times I can see her out there, though. I went out for a combing session last night and she did it then, too.

Does this always indicate heat, or can it be something else? We plan to have the vet out to palpitate both she and our 2-year old heifer in the next two weeks; if Sheila (cow) is due, it couldn't be any earlier than November (unplanned 14-day encounter with breeder's bull on his property) or as late as March (arranged encounter with him after we bought her).

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would say no.
Is she slimy (drainage from privates)? If so, is it clear or cloudy? Overley friendly? Wanting to ride the other(s)?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We only have the two girls, and she hasn't tried to mount the other. She also hasn't seemed more aggressive or friendly. We had company all weekend, though, so they stayed more in the pasture than the paddock until everyone left yesterday. She doesn't seem slimy or moister than normal or anything, although the hair around there was a bit wet. I didn't see any blood or anything. I'm still not entirely sure what to look for, though.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, for drainage, clear means coming into heat or in heat. Cloudy is pregnant. With white stuff or chunks, infection.

Mounting is a good indictor. If the one being mounted stands she is in heat. If she first stands in the morning then breed in the aft. If first stands in the aft. breed in the morning. Watch the tailhead and see if it gets roughened. If you have a paint stick you can mark her by going down the tailhead. This will help tell you if they are riding.

Sometimes they get overly friendly or start bawling/bellowing.

You can also put your hand on their tailhead and gently rub back and forth. If in heat they really raise thier tail and like the rub. It is different than if they are itchy. You can alos gently pinch the bottom of her privates. If she raises her tail right up she is probably in heat.

I hope this helps you.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If the lead cow was in heat, would the other (a heifer) dare try to mount her? I haven't seen this behavior, but I'm wondering if it would ever happen at our place, since our heifer is half the age (and about 2/3 the size) of the cow.

I'll try the scratchy/pinchy thing tonight and see what happens. (If you don't hear back from me, send a search party in case I've gotten my head kicked in.) :D

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I dont know the answer to your question but did you get your girls checked for preggers? I saw you had Bruce out to trim your cow on your web site blog. Isnt that cool how they do it?

Oh and my garden is VERY similar to yours. And Ive had the same thoughts as you.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Exciting news...

We had a vet out Friday afternoon for palpitations, and both girls are pregnant! Sheila is still holding her tail out occasionally, but she's most definintely not in heat!

Bridgit, the heifer, is about 7 months along, so will calve probably in late October.

Oddly, the vet thinks Sheila is only two months pregnant at the most. That doesn't make any sense, since the breeder swears the accidental bull encounter was from Feb 14-28, which would put her at 6 months, and our intentional exposure from May 27-June 28th would put her at 4. The breeder said her first calf was a bit large coming from a heifer, so unless the breeder is incorrect, she's carrying a tiny little calf.

Any thoughts on this, guys? Incidentally, if she was carrying twins (shudder), the vet would have been able to tell, right?

(I will add that our "halter broke" cows are a dream when not haltered and being combed, and Sheila was pretty well behaved when haltered for her hoof trimming, but they must know "vet", and Bridgit was a wild nightmare!!! We will definitely be investing in "real" containment measures before we have to do this again.)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are postive that her last exposure to a bull was 4 months ago she has to be at least that along. But, do any neighbors have a bull that could have jumped the fence for a visit? A vet won't necessarily be able to tell if it's twins or not. I would watch her close. First, incase something is wrong and she aborts the calf. Second, in case it's twins. A second calf can cause more complications during freshening.

jjanekelly

Just born
Reaction score
Hi I have a question. I have a yearling scottish highlander bull, with a young scottish female, the last 2 days, the bull was making this god awful calls, not his normal call, almost sounded like a low growl. I could not get into feed him, he'd chase me with his head down, digging and popping around really aggressive. He was trying to mount the female who's tail was off the the side. At times she would try to mount him. This morning, the female, was completely exhausted and her hind end was soaked, tail not up and off to the side. The bull was back to his usual self, mellow and sweet. He let me in to feed them, wanted his jaw and ears scratched. Obeyed my, "back, move" command. Is this normal behavior for a bull when the female is in heat. How often does a cow go in heat? Does this behavior only happen when the female is in heat? Help. For the last 2 days, I was thinking I had to get rid of him for he was too much for me to handle, I'm not that familiar with cows, I ended up with him for the mother could not feed him and he's was starving, so, I took him in, bottle fed him and haltered trained him. Obviously, he's too big for me to walk around like a dog anymore, but he understands voice commands and was wel-mannered up until 2 days ago.
I understand, he's a bull and not to be trusted. Any suggestions. Thanks
Jane

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes the cow/heifer was in heat.you never an i mean never go in with a bull when a cow is in heat.because he will try to get you.they come into heat every 21 to 28 days if she isnt bred.so id stay clear of them the next heat cycle.