Holding tail off to the side...does that always indicate heat?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i to have been around bulls all my life.an ive been around killer bulls as well.so i know what they can do to a person.an i do not trust any bull tame or mean.all of my bulls are gentle.an thats only so i can walk an be around them when i have to.all of my cows are the same way.but they are not pets.a friend of mine goes with me or does my cattle buying once a year.because he knows the bulls an cows temperment.an he wont let me buy anything thats wild stupid or crazy.that being said i have a cow or 2 that hates dogs but thats it.

COUNTRYMAN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thewife said:
I alway heard, the tamer the bull, the higher the chance he will hurt someone.
I always like the pasture raised, afraid of people, bulls!
truth is the tamer the bull the more you/we tend to trust them...BIG MISTAKE! a grown bull can kill you without trying to do so. One sling of that big head (horns or not) you will take a trip thats not gonna be fun

Been there done that , in my occupation no matter how hard we try ....we get complacent and at times take short cuts that we full well know could get us hurt or killed

9 outta 10 times i have ever been hurt by cattle, it probably could have been prevented, not proud of that but it's a fact

hind sight is 20/20

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
COUNTRYMAN said:
hind sight is 20/20
Oh how true!

You're right on injuries. A good portion of them are our mistakes. The cattle are just doing what comes naturally to them and it's us that goofs up by letting our guard down.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
my running buddy wont let me buy a bull unless he picks the bull out.because he says i have to have gentle easy to handle bulls.an the bull i have will come in wanting feed.an stand by his feed pan.an i can walk around him without fear.an i raise all my bulls the same way.they come to the trough wanting feed.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You may not fear them but, you know what they are capable of and respect them. There is nothing wrong with having them easy to work around-I really don't like wild cattle either-but, one needs to respect them and remember what their nature is.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes i know what they can do if they have a mind to.an i dont fear them.if that happens the bull goes down the road.

COUNTRYMAN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
my running buddy wont let me buy a bull unless he picks the bull out.because he says i have to have gentle easy to handle bulls.an the bull i have will come in wanting feed.an stand by his feed pan.an i can walk around him without fear.an i raise all my bulls the same way.they come to the trough wanting feed.
55 not doubting one second a gentle bull is better to have around than a flat nasty bull .....ive had them both and been on both sides of the fence litteraly :)

i flat footed would rather have a gentle bull but i know very well that doesnt meen they are weaker or any less dangerous

i wont keep a mean bull and i dont trust a nice one :D but thats just how i survive in my little world

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive kept a few mean bulls around only because they threw great daughters.an we always knew how to handle them.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've a dairying family friends whose female members could not be near their herd bull while menstruating. He would go ballistic. He has since been replaced but it's worth noting that some bulls can be that sensitive to hormones of all species!

My 4 yr old grandson who is autistic gave his mom a heart attack the other week by wandering into the beef cow pasture. Mom says it almost seemed like the head bull was intentionally calling for her to let her know *something* wasn't right. I can't say she isn't correct in her interpretation of the bulls reaction, but that boy has to learn to stay on the correct side of the fence!
I am personally more worried about the 1 1/2 yr old granddaughter who talks to the animals already. Keeping her out of the pasture may be impossible this summer! ( I know it was impossible to keep me away from the cows as a baby- I recall sneaking in.)