Hole in baby goats nose

Rella Wingler

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, we have had this baby since last Thursday and have been bottle feeding her...she has been fine every day.
My daughter fed her this morning and said, mom, she has lots of boogers in her nose. I got them to school and came to check her out. When I wiped her nose, this happened... 20190410_101319.jpg
I don't know what this is!! She is doing what goaties do...I am taking her to the vet. Just curious if anyone has seen this??!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bless her little heart (and nose). I've been doing goats for a long time and I've never seen anything like that. Did it just happen overnight? Just a long shot guess, but maybe a bite of some kind...like a spider? Can't wait to hear what the vet says - please come back and update us. This could be a good learning experience for a lot of folks - me included!

Rella Wingler

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bless her little heart (and nose). I've been doing goats for a long time and I've never seen anything like that. Did it just happen overnight? Just a long shot guess, but maybe a bite of some kind...like a spider? Can't wait to hear what the vet says - please come back and update us. This could be a good learning experience for a lot of folks - me included!

She was outside playing yesterday and everything was completely fine!!! Just found it this morning :-( I feel so bad for her. She keeps scratching at her neck and ears :-(
Her appt isn't until 6:20 tonight. I will update!!

Rella Wingler

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay!! Had to come home and milk momma goatie, feed older kids, and get eggs! *_*
So, I remembered that the other day, she got pecked in the nose by a chicken. I checked her nose and it was fine. I'm thinking there was a minor scratch and it got super infected, abscessed. Vet agreed. She had a fever of 104.5.
She received a shot of Baytril and he sent us on our way. Got her home and she had a bottle and is now sleeping.
The chicken was behind the fence in their run and she walked up to check them out and the clucker reached out and got her :-(
Keeping my fingers crossed she recovers well and not some kind of weird bacteria.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who'da thunk that a chicken could take down a goat's nose! So glad she's gonna be fine.