Holes in field

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So as many of you know we got our property foreclosured on and the previous owners were PISSED. They tore down & up all kinds of things so we are starting from scratch. I finally got tired of tripping over the post holes left over from the fencing they tore up. What would you do? Fill them up with dirt or fill them with concrete (they were set in concrete once placed). Is there any chance of re-using them? I am planning to put my sheep out there with rotating electrical fences. Thank you!

Orange flags are holes
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know what your price is there, but I would order a load of "Fill Dirt" and fill them in. If there are some you wish to use for new posts, I would tamp them in really well. The only way to use a post with concrete on it, dig the hole bigger than the concrete, and set it in Fresh cement. Unless ya can use the post without the concrete, then just use a chainsaw and cut them off. I don't know any other ways to deal with that. If ya fill in the holes, then ya can always redig when ya do decide, but it will keep them from washing and pitting larger.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, IMHO if you fill them with concrete, the future owners will be talking about you the same way you're talking about the previous owners to you. IOW, I would not fill them w/concrete! Can you just use them and maybe create a new pasture for future use? If not, I'd just use dirt to fill them in. You could place an add in craigs list that you're seeking one load of clean fill dirt and hopefully some construction company will have a truck load they wish to get rid of. Or just buy a load.

Dpenning

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Having bought a property with lots of old fencing that had to come down, those folks did a huge amount of work. It is a shame they couldn't channel that energy into doing something that would have kept them out of foreclosure!