YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
....anyone doing it?

Through the Lord's leading, I had started some of these methods over the years and even here recently (found, by God's design, how much seed and fertilizer there is in mulch hay and started scavenging for it to spread on this nutrient poor soil)without having knowledge that others had come to the same conclusion but in other ways, but am pleased to find out others have found the same methods and are implementing them to improve pasture and soil health.

Here's some vids on some of it.....

There's tons more info out there but I think this can be applied to smallholdings if a person just wants to work at it and move livestock in such a way as to improve the pasture rather than denude it and then start a dry lot situation.
I will squeeze time for me to check on the information about this, I will check on the details on the forums. I will get back to the forums for the details. thanks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You just reminded me of an incident when we owned a large furniture store. I was dressed in blue jeans, T-shirt. tennis shoes-not at all like an "owner", when an 18 wheeler backed up to the loading dock, the driver got out and came straight to me. I asked him how he knew I was the owner and he told me, "Because you are the one with authority."

So Bee, pull out your ATHORITY and take charge. I worked around men most all my life. It seems if you assert yourself and demand respect, that makes you a super b!tch. I'm fine with that and I claim my title proudly. By golly, I will be respected. Grab that guy by the short hairs, shake the snot out of him and make him listen. This is YOUR land.

One of the worst screaming fits BJ ever saw spew forth from me was at a logger who cut some trees I specifically told him NOT to cut. BJ wisely stood back and didn't say a word. LOL LOL I called that man names he had never heard and I never said a cuss word. He was dang near crying, he sure was looking for somewhere to go, but there was no escape from my wrath.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the worst screaming fits BJ ever saw spew forth from me was at a logger who cut some trees I specifically told him NOT to cut. BJ wisely stood back and didn't say a word. LOL LOL I called that man names he had never heard and I never said a cuss word. He was dang near crying, he sure was looking for somewhere to go, but there was no escape from my wrath.

That made me laugh! :lol: My boys always say I have the nicest way of telling folks they are an idiot that they've ever seen and the people go away feeling like they've been complimented. I also have the most calm way of being menacing that has had grown men in tears and other men trying to comfort them. I'm told I am intimidating but I've never intentionally set out to be, just me being me, as calmly and coolly as I can while standing up for myself and others.

No worries. All of this is in the hands of God and I'm counting on HIM to do all the hard work of this, as this is all His land anyway. I'm just along for the ride and I get to watch Him work, which is always amazing! I've found that the things people do to us that they mean for evil, He turns them to our good, as we do love Him more than anyone or thing. :love

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I hate watching videos. I want the information now, not 20min later peppered through a rambling video.
Anyone have text to read on what this is all about?
Holistic management is a comprehensive system of farm planning that allows farmers, ranchers and land managers to better manage agricultural resources to reap sustainable environmental, economic and social benefits. This "triple bottom line" of benefits can be done with optimizing existing resource management.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The grass is slowly coming on....the rains and warmer weather will likely speed that process. I spread some clover seed in some patches of bare ground left by high traffic, big tires in mud, etc. Spread those a few days ago and they are already up, which is kind of cool....white clover is possibly the fastest germinating seed I've ever planted.

We are on our 8th pasture rotation so far and it's the best one...and it's not even our land, but a small meadow we mow for absentee owners. Now we are mowing it green style, while also adding fertility to the land...and these mowers are so quiet. :love

We've grazed the center strip of the meadow, which is just the yard where no fencing exists...we just string polybraid and push in stakes to create small paddocks in between the fence lines so we can mow and fertilize at the same time. Not a square foot of space that doesn't have sheep pellets on it, so fertilization complete. :D =D Had a lamb born right beside our picnic table and I got to assist a tiny bit...sneaked up on all fours and applied a little traction to those hooves for a first timer that was having a hard time of it, then got out of there.

Still building fence and we'll be cleaning up logging remains for years to come. Got 29 round bales at $5 per and we think many of those will be rolled out on logging roads that crisscross the land so we won't have all that bare soil. The hay will hold moisture there, will help reseed those areas and will provide cover and food for earthworms and bugs that will incorporate that mulch layer into the topsoil. We just have to jimmy rig a temp bale roller until we can build one.

We put up a few gates today...new red gates that look perky and cheery to me. I've always loved red in a landscape, especially on a farm or homestead.

Contacted the USDA about possibly digging a few ponds and they don't help with that anymore....but they DO help develop springs, which we have quite a few potential springs on the place, so that's good. They can't do anything until next month due to the Plandemic. We'll be building a water wagon after we get the next paddock done so we can haul water, minerals and dog food as we move the sheep.

So, pasture development continues, slowly but surely. Can't wait to see some good results!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grass is the most important plant across the world. Animals eat grass, predators eat the animals (that includes us). Establishing grass on poor ground has its own special challenges. I see the results of your hard work. Bee, you are a good steward of the land and the bounty whic the Lord provides.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thrilled to report an increase in clover in the yard~in types, size, size of bloom and overall spread of it in the yard now. I've never seen anything like this before at this place. The trampling, pooping, peeing and also the actual grazing motion~which supposedly stimulates plant growth more than merely cutting does~has started to be realized here.

I've got red and yellow clover here that we've never seen before and the white clover is taller, the blooms larger, as are the leaves. There's one section of the yard in which I've rarely seen clover....it usually has a lot of weed I don't know the name of, a ton of wild onions and even moss....and it's now covered in clovers.

I'm also pleased to report an increase in leaf size, deepening of color, thickness and health of foliage of our apple trees as well. And under those trees the clover has widened and spread past where it usually grows as well. The pasture under the apple trees got some pretty hard use at the last part of winter/early spring...it was overgrazed, over trampled, over worked. It's starting to come back now and will need grazed soon.

I thought we were not going to see any honeybees this year and I've been looking intently for them each day on this clover...and today I finally saw several!!! Very beautiful, healthy looking bees! They've been in short supply in these parts for a long time and I really need to get some of my own~have the hive and all~but haven't had time to actually do so.

Will post some pics later on of the lovely, lovely clover. These lambs are so fat their body shakes when they run, so all that milk and clover does a body good!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love when a plan comes together! That's so good to hear that this intensive grazing is doing what you'd hoped for. You've got it going now Bee!

I've been walking on sunshine all day over it! Also about seeing the honeybees...I was getting worried because I hadn't seen any yet this year.

Here's a few pics...my son said folks will think you are crazy taking pics of grass and I told him the folks I show it to will be the first to understand. Some folks show grandchildren, I show clover. :D =D

The weird part is we usually have tons of dandelions and now we only have a few here and there. Used to at this time of year that whole yard would be yellow flowers.

100_2033.JPG

I've never seen our white clover with such tall stems and big bloom heads before.

100_2035.JPG

First time we've had these little yellow clovers in our yard!

100_2036.JPG

This part of the yard is usually full of green onions and a little, low growing silvery looking weed and not much grass at all. Now it's full of clover and not a single onion or any of those weeds to be found.
100_2037.JPG

And happened to spot this pretty little butterfly working the clover, as well as many, many bees.

100_2041.JPG

100_2049.JPG

100_2051.JPG

Older ram lamb wearing my homemade ram apron. Seems to be working fine!

100_2052.JPG

And little July, our youngest, is 3 wks old now and loving the clover also.

100_2054.JPG