Holstein for beef

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok, I am sure this has been said before just looking for a really quick answer. I have two holstein steers 15 months old, going to the butcher this fall. I have been giving them all stock plus corn now for a month or so, how much should I work them up to pound wise, right now they get a coffee can each morning and night. They also have pasture and get nice grass hay. How will I know if they are finished (if that is even possible with a holstein...).

Thanks in advance!
Michele

angus4ever

Just born
Reaction score
You should feed them grain everynight but they will never be the same size as a beef steer but they should get to be a fair size.

shawnfisher

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
holsteins need to have free choice to corn based grain from day one...

I would work them onto all they can eat, ASAP. but slowly.

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
REALLY!! I give them two coffee cans of corn and one of all stock and one of 3 way morning and night. I have read that they can get sick if they get too much corn so I have been overly careful. This is eaten by 2 cows, should I go to just one larger feeding or keep with morning and night and increase it more? I have never had Holsteins before, only had cows one other time for beef, so this is all pretty new to me. I appreciate ALL the advice I can get!

Thanks!
Michele

redtailgal

Reaction score
We've raised out some holsteins for beef. We worked most of them up to two coffee cans of calf starter, then high end finishing feed, given once a day. They have 24/7 grass and hay.

The last one we raised was pretty much grassfed, and was excellent meat. There was less meat, but the quality of the meat was much better.

I dont like to raise out any beef on corn, dont like the texture of the meat. Some may like it, but large amounts of corn makes the meat too tough and fatty in my opinion.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Coffee cans can vary in size. It would be much more relevant if everyone would weigh the amounts of corn/grains that the animals are given. As to feeding corn---I much prefer corn fed beef to grassfed. JMHO The grassfed beef that I've had has been tough, dry, and poorly marbled. Tasted OK, but I don't like the tough stuff.

As to the amount the steers in question can be given---if they are 15 months old, they should weigh at least 1000 lbs. They could easily be getting up to 20 - 25 lbs / head / day. Of course, they need to be gradually worked up to a ration this hot. I would increase the amount by about 2 lbs / day.

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, 20 pounds. I will weigh my can of corn and see what I get. Thanks so much for the input, I will put it to good use.

kfacres

Reaction score
most coffee cans will weigh 3 or 4 pounds. just b/c your can holds 3 pounds of shelled corn, doesn't mean it will hold 3 pounds of bean meal either, will be more like 5.

Most of the time, the way the beef is cooked, will determine how it eats. I dont' care who you are, or if you have beef that's veal-- and you cook it well done-- you'll have a hard time eating it.

loving life is the only person I've ever heard of eating corn fed beef and calling it drier, and tougher than grassfed-- in the world.

Holstein beef is more consistant than any other breed. 90% of them will hit prime -- if fed right- and 95% of them will grade choice or better. Only about 45% of the Angus steers will hit choice.

The downside, is Holsteins will require about 2x as much feed to get to the end, and will yeild you about 1/3 less product.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have eaten at quite a few restaurants in the far Western states that tout "grass fed" beef on their menu ... they have all been dry and very chewy. A total disapointment. Now , feedlot corn fed beef is by far the juiciest and most tender meat one has the pleasure to enjoy. :celebrate

redtailgal

Reaction score
I've raised and eaten both grain fed and grass fed, some others have raised and some I have raised. The meat is just....different. The difference is pretty drastic at times, like the difference between the pale yolked grocery store egg and the flaming orange yolk of a free range hen.

My own meat has always been better (by better I mean more to what it is that I personally desire). I kill my meat younger.......chickens, goats, cattle, hogs.........I like 'em young. Most beef and the future goats are killed at around 10-11 months.

With both grass fed and grain fed, there is a huge difference in the quality (tenderness, texture, and flavor) of an 11 month old and an 18 month old.

I also cook the grass fed stuff a little different, it's cooked slower and gentler, and unless its a steak on the grill, its wet roasted in the end.

Latest posts