Home brew milk replacer

DJ Hardy

Just born
Reaction score
I'm looking for some different recipe's for home made milk replacer. Hope I don't need it but in reality there will come a time if for no other reason than just to supplement a ewe that may run short.

I do have one that give birth to triplets 8 days ago and they are doing great as she gives plenty of milk.

Have there more first timers due in the next couple weeks so just want to be prepared.

And suggestions are muchly appreciated.
Thanks
Dwight

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
1 can of evaporated milk, 2 tablespoons of Caro syrup, 1 tablespoon mineral water, fill now empty milk can with water to top and pour into mixture. Pour into lamb's bottle with nipple and heat gently to a warm temperature ( test on your wrist ) and serve.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when your ewe first kids they will need colostrum, not milk. I don't know about sheep people, but a lot of people like to milk out the extra colostrum from their goats to freeze for later use.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we have a lamb in need of supplementation and the Jersey is in milk, we feed straight Jersey milk with excellent results.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
1 two-quart carton of whole (vitamin D) milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 egg
–>whisk egg and cream together, add milk

Edit: I’ve had a lot of metric system folks ask me how this translates. It is about 1.9 liters of milk and 60 mL of cream.

Here's a recipe from The Collie Farm blog (hope they don't mind me reproducing here)....sounds pretty good to me.

As Green Acres Farm said, colostrum in the first 24 hours (particularly important in the first 6 hours of life). The commercial stuff is almost all from cows and does a pretty poor job in comparison with ewe's colostrum. Ideally take some colostrum from a ewe of your own who has just delivered and who only has had a single lamb and has plenty of colostrum. Freeze in 150ml aliquots and allow to slowly reach body temp. when needed (never microwave as this destroys the antibodies ). If you have a ewe who has tons of the stuff and needs to have her teats milked down before the lamb can suck, then you have the ideal ewe candidate for donating colostrum to orphaned/triplet/rejected lambs.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Make yourself at home DJ... If you have more questions, just post away, Chances are good someone will be along to help you out. If you can share some pics we'd all be appreciative!

DJ Hardy

Just born
Reaction score
IMG_2187.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2195.JPG

My first ones, 3 rams 2 ewes

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They are so cute! :love:love What breed sheep are they?

Nevermind... just saw on another post that you want a St Croix ram, so I assume that's what these are as well.