Home brew milk replacer

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are beautiful!!!! From the looks of that one ewe, you have a real milker there -- save some!!

I keep colostrum from some of my heavy milking goats at kidding, then each day after for about a week. I label what/doe name/& day of milking. Then, if needed, I have enough for a few kids to be fed or supplemented at the same rate of intensity they would get from their own mom. It keeps well for a yr or more if handled well. Just put into some hot water to thaw & heat to temp needed. Used to do with my mini horses, too. You never know. There have been times when another person needed some for their young. My vaccinations were always up to date, so added benefit.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They are beautiful!!!! From the looks of that one ewe, you have a real milker there -- save some!!

I keep colostrum from some of my heavy milking goats at kidding, then each day after for about a week. I label what/doe name/& day of milking. Then, if needed, I have enough for a few kids to be fed or supplemented at the same rate of intensity they would get from their own mom. It keeps well for a yr or more if handled well. Just put into some hot water to thaw & heat to temp needed. Used to do with my mini horses, too. You never know. There have been times when another person needed some for their young. My vaccinations were always up to date, so added benefit.

Milking beyond 2 days after parturition in hopes to have colostrum , your chances are slim to none.