Homemade hay feeder

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is very clever.

I went an bought 45 gallon storage container today at Walmart to experiment with

Mine has a couple of issues tht I need to address, but I have it with the goats now and it's working. I think I need to make my holes smaller and for my situation a couple of other modifications

But, I will be working on this some more next weekend. Will post some pics then.

And, FYI when you mark your hole with a magic marker and can, you can cut the holes with a razor utility type knife. Be careful though.

Eric

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I really like that idea. I think I will make one out of ply-wood and 2x4. I think on the inside i will slope the back towards the front so that the loose hay at the end will move forward. I bet there will be a lot less waste than your standard style feeder. So keep us posted on how it works and if you would change anything.

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'll have to take a picture but basically there's a 2x4 that runs across the inside back/top of the bucket which is screwed into the wall.

I'm still stirring the contents in the evening - still plenty of hay in it. This is GREAT.

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There's a 2x4 that spans the top back of the feeder, another one on the outside.
7805_imag2882.jpg

This is toenailed into the wall.
7805_imag2885.jpg

The bottom rests on a 2x4 attached to the wall. This 2x4 was originally put on the wall to hold up feeders.
7805_imag2886.jpg

7805_imag2889.jpg

Hope these help.

Valntyn

Just born
Reaction score
Hi SCG :)

Having used your tote hay feeder for a few months now, do you have any updated comments about how much you like it/hate it/changed it? We're trying to find a better solution for the waste and I really liked this idea of yours! Thanks in advance for a reply!

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Valntyn said:
Hi SCG :)

Having used your tote hay feeder for a few months now, do you have any updated comments about how much you like it/hate it/changed it? We're trying to find a better solution for the waste and I really liked this idea of yours! Thanks in advance for a reply!
Unfortunately you picked a bad day to respond. One of my goats died a terrible death Thursday night. I will be getting rid of my other goat tomorrow.

That being said, the feeder worked really well until about 6 weeks ago then somehow they figured out how to waste hay again like crazy. So we raised it up (because they had grown). That reduced waste a bit, but there was still a large amount of waste. We were going to raise it again a few inches but that point is moot, now. We had no other changes to it or plans for changes at the time.

Valntyn

Just born
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Unfortunately you picked a bad day to respond. One of my goats died a terrible death Thursday night. I will be getting rid of my other goat tomorrow.
Oh, I'm SO sorry!! :( :hugs