Homestead/Herder Vocabulary

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m working on a little something similar to a homesteader’s dictionary of sorts that simplifies common terms and breaks them down into examples maybe. That being said, I’d love some input of words you may commonly say about the homestead/farm/herd/flock but that other folks outside the realm scratch their heads about and may need help with. Got a suggestion? Add it as a reply with the word itself in bold please.

For example:
When referring to raising rabbits, some people don’t know what it means to cull them.

Thanks again!

-HW

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's a common sense one, but depending on how urban the reader is, I notice folks getting confused between straw and hay.

Hay: Grown from grass, alfalfa, or other vegetation to be dried, baled, and eaten.

Straw: Grown as a crop generally, then the stubble is cut and baled for bedding or cover material, but not to be eaten.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
WETHER— a castrated male goat or sheep

CASTRATE— removal of male testicles, usually by surgical means

EWE — female Sheep.

DOE— female goat or rabbit.

RAM — male Sheep that has not been castrated

BUCK— male goat or rabbit that has not been castrated

MANUAL DRAGLINE— that would be a shovel

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some common ones I use at work that leaves my wife scratching her head
Barrow-castrated male pig
Gilt- female pig that has not had a litter
Parity- in reference to how many litters a sow has had, example a Parity 2 sow has had 2 litters
Service- refers to either the act of insemination by AI or live cover or can also be used in reference to a prepackaged dose of semen ( it sounds a lot better on the phone to say I’ve gotta go pick up some services as opposed to “oh I’m just driving to the stud to get more semen.”)
AI- artificial insemination. Insemination of an animal using artificial means to deliver a service (pre determined amount of semen)
Live cover- the act of male livestock using actual intercourse to inseminate (breed) a female
Intercourse- You’re on your own there bud
Heat- a period of time when a female is receptive to breeding.
SSS- in reference to predators means shoot, shovel, shut up. Essentially remove the offending animal and move on with your life. Less recommended course of action for neighbors and ex’s