Homestead Security

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
After many quiet years at my present location I had a security incident. A strange man was sitting by my front gate. I was annoyed that my LGDs didn’t notice him. He moved on after I gave him some water
(which he didn’t drink). He didn’t belong in the neighborhood and while he was coherent something was definitely off. I’m kicking myself for not calling the sheriff but the guy wasn’t breaking any laws. I notice a lot more panhandling in the small town I shop in. Is anyone else seeing an uptick in out of place people? Also considering a Rottweiler.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was a known thief that lived in our neighborhood. He walked around at night looking for things to steal. Our dogs hit the fence barking-he never made our place one of his stops. He finally moved away.

Haven’t noticed any out of place people where we live.

Keep your eyes open and be careful coming and going. Make sure nobody is about when you go in and out your gate. If coming in, you see someone at your gate, keep going. Can you get a neighbor to go with you to run them off or go to a neighbors to call the law?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. My present opinion is this guy was local and had been poking around before hence the dogs may have recognized and ignored him. I suspect I surprised him and he had to back pedal for a story. Neighbors are all relatively new and don’t have any interest in being neighborly. I will leave a note about the incident but ? I don’t expect them to help me now or ever. They shoot a lot of loud guns. I guess they think that’s all they need. Well some day they will be older....
I’ve stopped a couple of muggings when I lived in the city. So I’m ready.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Shame isn't it. You feel leery going into town after dark. Big grocery center of town has security now to run off the bums and panhandlers. So many college kids around me. Draws problems. Break-ins happen during Christmas break. Steal the tv and the game systems or computer. I try to watch for strange vehicles. Mossberg in the hall closet. Cell phone always charged, always in my pocket when I'm outside within reach inside.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were a lot of red flags. His apparel was clean but he was unkempt. He did not ask the right questions nor provide a sensible explanation as to why he was at my front gate. My neighborhood is a bit off the beaten path. People don’t just “end up here”.

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sad to say, but I think it a sign of the times. Covid and drug abuse has adversely affected so many families. In our neighborhood, a BIG man dressed head to toe in black was seen on a security camera walking through the snow looking into cars and going up to houses... at 2 am. He was not very smart as you could see exactly where he went LOL.
I served on jury duty where someone was looking for piles of stacked firewood...he figured out that if you had wood split, as well as some unsplit that the homeowner might just have a chainsaw and logsplitter so therefore might have other tools to break in and steal to pawn for buying opiods. He was particularly impressed with Stihl brand as he had pawned 14 chainsaw and other powertools.

If you have not been locking your doors, now might be a good time to start. You could ask your neighbors to see if they have seen this guy around. Take stock of your belongings so that you know what tools and equiptment you have. Check with your insurance company and/or sheriff for any tips they might have as they might have already be investigating them.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know what kind of LGDs you may be using, but you may want to invest in a Kangal, Anatolian or Akbash in the near future. Much more people wary and aggressive than GPs and GP mixes, so could give you more peace of mind.

We don't get strangers around these parts, but some of our neighbors are known thieves...which is kind of funny, as true to form, there is no honor among thieves~they have their places gated, lit up all night long, etc. because they know their neighbors well. We live half a mile away from that den of vipers and my Dad had a reputation for being very aggressive with trespassers, so they don't bother us any....had an attempt this past year to come back and case the place under some weird pretense, but I headed them off at the pass, as I too am aggressive with trespassers.

Now the Anatolians are on the place and they likely keep the neighbors guessing, leery of coming back our holler. We are the only place around that doesn't have a dusk til dawn light near the house~I think those just give light for thieves to see by. All our lights are motion sensors, so they come on when there is activity only, which is much more of an alert to nefarious movements in the night. Thus far we've had no incursions into our perimeter by ne'erdowells.

Last edited:

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have often said that if someone is cold, they need a hat. I would knit a nice warm one and leave it in a ziploc bag where they might walk past. I would write a note with number for food bank and a request for them to move along to another neighborhood.

As for guns, we give peace a chance and try to get along with the community.

Times are tough here.

Latest posts