HomesteaderWife - Tales from Wolf Branch [05/10/2023 - The New Fella!]

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Been a good long while since I've updated here - it's sad, but we don't have herd animals anymore so in a way I almost feel like this journal just doesn't fit anymore. We've got three chickens and two ducks, along with our dogs. But things are well and can't complain to be living the good life.

Bone Needle article came out June/July in Mother Earth News and I (not intending to sound in any way to brag) am just extremely humbled and proud to see it. I never thought something I wrote could be featured in there, and am so thankful to be able to share a unique how-to with readers. I hope it will inspire people to be more resourceful with their hunt. I was guilty years ago of being outspoken against hunting because I grew up under the impression "every hunter is a trophy hunter and they waste everything but the head" as that is what I was taught. I grew and realized as an adult that so many people hunt for meat to feed their family. There are some who even go to tan their own hides. But for those who take it to the processor - maybe they'll ask to save the legs next time or the hide, and reduce waste by putting those things to use.

Cabin #2 is nearing final touches after alot of setbacks. I remain, even though we lost the first cabin we built to fire, very grateful that we had eachother first of all. We weren't hurt. I also remain grateful for the fact our tractor and chainsaw were not there- they were the keys to rebuilding. We lost items- not memories. We lost money - not the ability to work. We lost a home - not eachother. So bullheaded as we are, we started over.

Lost the family dog a few weeks back after a long bout with his illness. My husband grew up with him, and I was lucky enough to know the old fella for a few years. I love looking back at pictures I took when we were first clearing for the first cabin, my husband tightening the chainsaw chain while the loyal Labrador looks on. He was out there with us all the time. I laugh thinking of how many times we'd be watching deer run away from the stand, only to look down and realize his little content wagging self was right under us. He'd never see us leave, but he could always find us and knew exactly where to look up.

Just set the sawmill up a few months back on an actual solid concreted in/bolted in track and it cuts great now. My husband also built a log loading deck next to it for smoother transition onto the mill. This remains a great investment we made after marriage, as it paid for itself quickly in lumber value and continues to run.

Other than this long update, not sure what else to add so I will share some fun thumbnails of photos from the past year.

Last pickup of hides/tanning. Made a lot of tanned/smoked hides and some awesome crafts from it including bracelets, a new bag, and some little buckskin pony dolls. Saved the tails for some odd crafts/fly-fishing lures later. My husband also got a little lace maker for me, so I was able to turn small scraps of hide into big long laces.

il_794xN.2404527520_nz96.jpg IMG_4152.jpg IMG_4437.jpg IMG_5903.jpg IMG_5194.jpg

Read The Man Who Listens to Horses by Monty Roberts all the way through finally - very much enjoyed reading about his origins.
IMG_4798.jpg

Made a bunch of pine needle hand brooms from dried needles one day. Was proud and humbled to see the bone needle article in print.
IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5513.jpg

Prue the hen with her extreme stink-eye. Our little Heeler dog enjoying a cool day at the garden.

IMG_5657.jpg IMG_5773.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm VERY glad to catch up and you don't need herd animals to be here and have a journal. I have 2 alpacas, 20 laying hens and 3 house cats ... not exactly a lot of "herd" either. You have a lot of interesting things going on ... and sad ones. I'm sure others will continue to be interested in what all you are doing!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Bruce, your posts are very interesting and I enjoy your creative use of the things around you.
Your little heeler looks like my little heeler, Wren. We got her at a year old from a farm because she flunked herding.

Oh and congratulations on having your article published! That's great!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @HomesteaderWife,

Good to see you back on the forum! So sorry about your losses! I am glad neither of you were hurt, and that you were able to pick up the pieces and start again. Don't feel bad about not having animals to talk about. We enjoy reading about whatever it is you are doing! So welcome back!

Senile Texas Aggie

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay seriously that is some awesome craftsmanship in both your parts first the cabin second the items you created. I recently tanned my first rabbit hid and made small coin purse from it. (Young rabbit lost to heat, I got the hid the dog and cat shared the meat) and just because you don't have the animals doesn't mean on that you aren't welcome second you have the knowledge still and need to share it. Plus clearly as baymule put your stuck with us .

Attachments

• 20200719_140449.jpg
    20200719_140449.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 466

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad to be stuck here @Baymule - I always feel welcome on BYH of all the sister sites. :D =D

@Jesusfreak101 - love the coin purse! Rabbit is so dang thin to work with that it's really hard to not tear. I've got a wild rabbit from last year I tanned to go on the wall in the cabin and it ripped almost at the end of stretching delicately. I sewed back up and you can barely tell. Would love to see any other fur crafts you make!