HomesteaderWife - Tales from Wolf Branch [05/10/2023 - The New Fella!]

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss of animals!!
I think a lot of our gardens this year did similarly to yours. Too much rain here. We FINALLY got ripe Sungold cherry tomatoes starting 2-3 weeks ago, should have been happening mid to late July. It has been hot the last week or so, WAY hotter than usual so even the full size tomatoes FINALLY are starting to get red. But it will cool substantially starting tomorrow so the tomatoes will slow ... until the first frost kills them.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, Fall is here, and a lot has happened yet again. The cabin and our wonderful porch is all completed, and we saved up enough to get the larger wood stove that was much needed. We are clearing around the house for an addition that will eventually be living space, and the old part will become the kitchen/library/relaxing space. We are also going to build a work shed in time, where we can get the four-wheeler fixed up and store it there. We can do our skinning and tanning without the "help" of the yellowjackets here too.

Speaking of skinning- I am still really happy that one of the local processors (well, not local, it's a 30 minute drive to the nearest one) allows us to pick up deer hides and legs and heads for free. Now this may sound gross, but my little crafty head sees beauty in all of this. Hides can be tanned fur on or off to make leather. Legs can be used to make bone knives, the fur around it makes good walking stick handles, the hooves are removed for decorations/necklaces/and such, the tendons can be harvested for sinew, and the pups get a nice chew. The head can be cleaned for a nice skull display. We recently picked up 4 hides, 10 legs, and a head to start the season off. Please keep in mind CWD is not reported in our state, but I still take precaution when handling the deer.

We had a little scare with one of our last four ducks, who randomly had swollen legs and could not stand or walk. He got babied for about four days, and with some good rest he recovered! The chickens are helping me with my little compost pen where we grew a ton of gourds this year. Hoping to plant some carrots here next year?

P.S. Pumpkins are pretty darn expensive- we carved gourds this year for Halloween!

The last thing I guess to update about is that we have a big craft sale coming up December 16th. I have so much stuff in the works to really try to make some money for Winter bills and needs. I'm really praying it is successful- we could really use it. Hmm, I guess that's about it for this update. Thank you to anyone who may read this.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have another idea for those deer legs. I have seen them made into gun racks. The legs are bent up and dried to hold a rifle and mounted on a nice piece of wood. Screws go in the leg from the back side of the wood.

Last edited:

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Baymule - I did look into that, because my husband absolutely loves his grandfather's gun rack that is made like that. People that make them usually taxidermy strip it down to the toes to clean them. It may have to be a Christmas craft for him if we get a deer here soon ;)

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am going to keep my update brief, as we have been more quiet about this. We had a fire on New Years Day, and lost our cabin and most of our things. However, we did not want to ask for help and wanted to rebuild ourselves in order to find strength and hope in the dark times. People have asked about "go fund me" and we have declined, as again we really just wanted prayers as we worked forward. We've been blessed by family coming forward and insisting on helping, along with two churches our family attends sending help as well. We have clothes, food, tools to rebuild, and money for bills. We are safe and strong. In short, we are in the process of rebuilding an actual log cabin, and we have had time to heal and carry on. It's heartbreaking- so many family treasures and handmade gifts my husband and I made each other were there. But we are rebuilding in the same place, and the lesson we learned is- "You can't rebuild while sitting there being sad. A new home cannot build itself." It was an accident which we believe was cause by wind- it happened so fast. We weren't in there, thus why I said we were safe, because it was so bad we couldn't have done anything. So I've been absent for awhile amongst this all and my time will be scarce as we move on, but please just keep us in your prayers. We are not in need, in fact we are "rich in spirit" so we are doing okay and blessed. Thank you everyone and I wish you all well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry. Fire takes everything. I admire your spirit and attitude, but what a price to pay. I know you will rebuild, better than what you had to start with. I hope you check in from time to time. I loved reading your story as you built your home and I miss you being on here. Prayers.