HomesteaderWife - Tales from Wolf Branch [05/10/2023 - The New Fella!]

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Pictures are always a good thing... I routinely catch flack as I'm no photographer... o_O Doesn't mean I don't like to see them... ;) Thanks for the update.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So here we are again- the hen that's in my profile photo who was responsible for hatching five baby ducks is back on the nest again. Like I normally say, I make these brief kind of for personal record-keeping! My timing puts Fat Momma to be hatching out babies before Easter!

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm from Arkansas. I used to have a bunch of game hens and they were broody practically all summer. The price of chicks and the bother of raising chicks broody hens are the way to go. The chickens I have were bought as chicks last spring and only started laying a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to more stories from Wolf Branch and your homesteading adventures.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've been absent from here for a very long time. Time has slipped by with so much going on. We have lost a lot of animals in that time, and currently stand with only five chickens and four ducks. It's been heart-breaking.

There's been positives in the time as well- we finally found a large wood stove, are almost finished with our porch, we are decorating the inside of the cabin, we've built our own bed, and so much more.

The garden was pretty much a bust except for cucumbers and jalapenos. Our sweet corn failed, as did the Blue Hopi corn. The only thing that really took off in the heirlooms were the birdhouse gourds- we have quite a lot of them we are waiting on to harden. And they're still going!

This year's canning included mainly LOTS of pickles. There are jalapeño slices, of course! That's about all, haha.

Did a lot of scouting this year for wild American persimmon trees and found a few that are dropping now. I'll prepare next year early to harvest them and dehydrate the pulp- I hear making "fruit leather" from it is a tasty treat. We have also gathered a lot of seeds from the ground in hopes of one day growing some more trees.

A lot of work around and outside of home. A fair share of struggles here and there. But you know, in all of it, we are blessed and can't complain. For every bad, there's five good things (if that makes sense!) God takes care of us! We pay the bills and save enough to get the necessities. I'll be back here more regularly now that things have settled down some.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of work around and outside of home. A fair share of struggles here and there. But you know, in all of it, we are blessed and can't complain. For every bad, there's five good things (if that makes sense!) God takes care of us! We pay the bills and save enough to get the necessities. I'll be back here more regularly now that things have settled down some.

That last paragraph pretty much sums up most lives of those who frequent this forum. I'm glad to see you back and really happy to see you doing well in spite of the bad.