HomesteaderWife - Tales from Wolf Branch [05/10/2023 - The New Fella!]

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just finished up the second squirrel hide dream-catcher. I have some strips of fur saved as well to wrap around walking stick handles. We have an art show to go to on the 31st so maybe some of the new crafts will sell. We also may have a job coming up to build a dog house using milled up wood- fingers crossed. I am also happy to report that yesterday we finished framing the floor of the cabin and will be ready to cut floor boards next!
IMG_6744.jpg

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The cycle continues. As one squirrel hide is now used for art, the time has come to harvest another by God's grace. I walked quietly a few minutes ago into the woods with my shotgun and listened closely. The squirrels began to chatter and alert one another that something was off, and I set my focus onto the first one I heard. Climbing a small hill, I got a bit closer and watched the squirrel, praying, "Let me hit that which I aim for." I don't know what it is, but the moment I raise my gun, my heart stops. There is a nervousness, but an excitement, and it brings an adrenaline rush! With one shot, the squirrel fell out of the tree. The first of two traditions came- a loud yell of pride! Then the second- putting the shell between the squirrel's paws. And after a thankful prayer, there is now another squirrel to be processed for meat and fur!
image.jpg

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm, squirrel for dinner, interesting I have had jackrabbit and a lot of other game, just never squirrel. My grandpa would serve it if it was 7 years ago.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is the frame that is now complete for the floor of our cabin! Today we are cutting up floor boards, so I will update again once those are finished and nailed on. I am so excited to be milling up all our own lumber, and getting this house built. We managed to get all the bracing done in a day's time. Hopefully, we will be done by next Summer and ready to move in for good. I'm looking forward to building a nice sized bookshelf and some shelves to store all our canned goods on. I just finished canning some applesauce, and can't wait to dig into that to celebrate the house being complete!

We have two craft sales coming up, and I can't wait to see how they do. We will be taking some new handiwork there- homemade cane fishing poles.

Thank you for all the readers and the responses!
image.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are y'all living while you are building your cabin?

What kind of chickens do you have? I had a thought for a craft-make earrings from the flashy chicken feathers. Some breeds have really beautiful colored feathers and would make nice earrings or to hang on your dream catchers.

Latest posts