Honeybee Hill-Not quite just starting out-I'm continuing on..backyard farming in eastern suburbia with my family

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it going on! šŸ˜Š

The fire pit is a beauty. And I love the look into the yard and trees. But be careful of Francois. Yeah. If he feels like living under your cabin, you could have problems. They enjoy digging massive tunnels for burrows. Generally have at least two wives and more tunnels!! That can be devastating for a foundation of a house. Plus the in and out holes in a yard, for access to said tunnels. You could literally break a leg in one.

Hope you get some goats. They are so cute. Very personable and smart, too. And they love dandelions! Yep, you'll be planting them. City boy FH will learn and enjoy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember the days of being the teenager hang out place! Boys can eat a LOT.

BEER BISCUITS!!!!

Directions;
1 can of beer
Enough Bisquick to make a dough, just past gooey.

Sprinkle counter with flour, pat out dough about 1ā€ thick. I use a medium drinking glass to cut them out. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for maybe 15 minutes or until browned. Honestly I donā€™t remember but they always were gobbled down.

Set out butter, jam and get out of the way!

Start another batch.

Honeybee Hill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I remember the days of being the teenager hang out place! Boys can eat a LOT.

BEER BISCUITS!!!!

Directions;
1 can of beer
Enough Bisquick to make a dough, just past gooey.

Sprinkle counter with flour, pat out dough about 1ā€ thick. I use a medium drinking glass to cut them out. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for maybe 15 minutes or until browned. Honestly I donā€™t remember but they always were gobbled down.

Set out butter, jam and get out of the way!

Start another batch.
They were pretty hungry-ate popcorn, cookies, ice cream and pizza rolls. But they were pretty quiet while locusting, so I got some sleep, thankfully. I have my Installation dinner tonight, and I need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the festivities.
The cats seemed to think it was my fault that their boy was occupied and couldn't cuddle with them in bed, so I got "the look" from them.
Some pictures of DS3...

tempImageju8GXd.jpg

Doing his Leonardo as Gatsby pose
tempImageM8yZ6j.jpg

At the 9/11 Memorial waterfall at my fire house
tempImageMjVbMu.jpg

With DD who came to glue his mop into submission
tempImagem24ONv.jpg

DS2 who passed us on the road and turned around to see his brother. Yes. He's about 6'4-6'5.

Honeybee Hill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The little chickens are almost fully feathered, so the coop must be finished soon. If it ever stops raining, I'll be able to get the run finished. Everything is so green from the rain, but I need some sun! Sunday is mothers day, the day that it's considered safe to plant here in southern NY. I still need to decide what we're planting, the local agway usually has great seedlings, saving me from having to find a place to start the plants.
tempImageez7FyA.jpg
tempImageh4aRyD.jpg

This young man is just budding his spring antlers
tempImagelVD7Fj.jpg

The Coop so far. It's small IMO, but should fit 6 hens who will free range most of the time.

Honeybee Hill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Coop is cute, Iā€™m sure it will be adequate.

Pretty pink flowers!
The flowers are a cherry blossom. Pretty now, but by next week, they'll be leaving a brown mess all over. FHs OCD will kick in...:gig

The coop is a nice one, I put down hardware cloth so raccoons can't dig under it, and I have an automatic door closer that I'm installing. I'm hoping to get the run set up today, but we have the Cinco de Mayo taco night at the firehouse so we'll see how far I get. I leave Monday for Florida, I have so much to get done before then.
My invitations are supposed to be delivered today-I'll let ya know how that works out. USPS seems to take their time around here, so I don't have very high hopes...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
USPS now treats employees like dirt. They are no longer employees with government benefits. Itā€™s no longer a lifetime job. Small wonder nobody wants a postal job anymore. My sister only gets mail delivered once a week. Once.

Honeybee Hill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
USPS now treats employees like dirt. They are no longer employees with government benefits. Itā€™s no longer a lifetime job. Small wonder nobody wants a postal job anymore. My sister only gets mail delivered once a week. Once.
Once a week?? FH would lose his mind. He loves getting the mail. He listens for the mailman, and now there's two houses to collect mail from, he's in his glory. I don't understand it, but his dad is the same way. At 86 years old, the man is like a child every single day when the mail comes. I guess it's a charming trait... :idunno :lol:

It's been raining like crazy here, so I got my invitations assembled and mailed. FH and all the kids and their SOs surprised me with a graduation dinner last night, except DS3-he's sick with a cough and aches. Two negative COVID tests, so I'm guessing just "regular sick" today he had a low grade fever, and he slept all day, (except when I woke him to take robitussin and Tylenol and to drink tons of water.)
DS1 and his girlfriend got me a hanging plant for an early mothers day gift. DS1 really knows his mama. I LOVE plants, seriously-LOVE. I have so many, and I always want more. I found an app called Greg that you log your plants, with pictures and it tells you what kind of plant it is, and specific care for them...and you get to name them-Yes. I'm a little odd, but I'm completely charmed by it.

Latest posts