Hoof abscess?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a horse with an abscess hoof. It stunk and felt hot before the abscess blew out the top at the hair line.

Trim the hoof, soak as advised, treat with betadine or something for hoof rot. Maybe soak a gauze pad in the treatment and place on hoof, wrap with vet wrap for a few days, changing twice a day. You are gonna have to come up with a way to keep her dry. Maybe the calf hut and pallets with cow panels around it?

The good news is it’s an open hole, so it must have already broke. I’m betting she stepped on a nail. It’s also shaping up to be a dry week so that’s a good start. I like that idea too, her own healing jug.

I also checked and nobody else has any symptoms thankfully.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Things to help avoid this issue again. Keep her feet trimmed is the number one thing you can do. If her feet are trimmed then when she does get her feet out of the water they will dry quickly and have no water stuck to cause the rot or soften. Most issues of hoof rot are solved by keep the hooves well rimmed to make sure there are no crevices where water or manure can pack in.
X2

Up here it is usually ok... but at times conditions just get soggy.... and in times like that the horses and goats would get issues.

I found the key was keeping the hooves trimmed...the goats about every 6 weeks, 2 months max. The horses was every 3 to 4 months (they were barefoot).

And then frequent, at times daily or even twice daily, hoof cleanout.

With pretty short hooves and a daily clean out they were much more likely to stay perfect, even if in muck for most of the time.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank y’all for all the advice. I checked everybody else, and don’t see any problems with the others.
Her hoof is getting better very quickly. The little bit of slime between the toes was gone on day two and the smell is almost gone now. She’s not limping either. I’ve been using iodine and a sulfite spray. I thought people mentioned sulfur, sulfur sulfite should be the same base element. Plus the alcohol couldn’t hurt on top of it. So now I’m picking the two holes to keep them clean and flushing. I’ll do antibiotics for two or three more days I believe and we’ll see.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank y’all for all the advice. I checked everybody else, and don’t see any problems with the others.
Her hoof is getting better very quickly. The little bit of slime between the toes was gone on day two and the smell is almost gone now. She’s not limping either. I’ve been using iodine and a sulfite spray. I thought people mentioned sulfur, sulfur sulfite should be the same base element. Plus the alcohol couldn’t hurt on top of it. So now I’m picking the two holes to keep them clean and flushing. I’ll do antibiotics for two or three more days I believe and we’ll see.
Glad she is healing up quick!

Latest posts