Hoof abscess?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I noticed my goat limping yesterday and didn’t think much of it, I assumed someone pushed her away from food or something, I couldn’t feel swelling or pain on her leg. Today she’s limping worse, I checked her hoof. She doesn’t want to put weight on it and is trying to keep it up in the air. I’m pretty sure this is an abscess, but I’ve never dealt with one of those before. 1 can y’all confirm if it’s an abcsess? 2 how do I treat it? P.s. she’s around ten years old and I haven’t trimmed her hooves in over a year if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• 39306159-8CC9-4E28-B98F-FA56B1586265.jpeg
    39306159-8CC9-4E28-B98F-FA56B1586265.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 143
  • 62763D70-AC39-4744-B0E4-763E924A576A.jpeg
    62763D70-AC39-4744-B0E4-763E924A576A.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 136

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks to me like she has hoof rot.

Clean up her hooves cutting off anything that shouldnt be there. Cut off any dead tissue then treat her with strong antibotics and your hoof rot treatment of choice.

I tried reading up, but didn’t find that much. How can I tell for sure if it’s hoof rot? What can I do for her habitat wise? She’s lowest goat on the totem pole so whenever it rains she will inevitably get her feet wet. She usually sleeps in the chicken coop when it does too. Is it contagious?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very, from what I've read, very contagious. I'd do some research on it and the best treatments for it. You'll also want to get them all out of those kind of soil conditions, getting them on fresh, clean soils that are not holding excess water....something with good runoff.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Very, from what I've read, very contagious. I'd do some research on it and the best treatments for it. You'll also want to get them all out of those kind of soil conditions, getting them on fresh, clean soils that are not holding excess water....something with good runoff.
I’m afraid that’s not an option. I live on a bit under two acres, the goats have about 1 1/2 of it fenced in. It rains pretty much everyday and there is no place that’s unaffected. Their shelter is raised, but they’ll shove her out of it so she’ll go to an igloo or the chicken coop(which is 8x8 dirt floor with a small patch of cinder blocks for her to lay on). On really bad days there will be water over my ankles in some parts of the yard. There’s also an insane amount of dew every morning. They do have pallets laid down and random toys, tires and other wise to lay on so they can stand off the ground when they want.
Do you think I should give everyone medicated feed to be on the safe side?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m afraid that’s not an option. I live on a bit under two acres, the goats have about 1 1/2 of it fenced in. It rains pretty much everyday and there is no place that’s unaffected. Their shelter is raised, but they’ll shove her out of it so she’ll go to an igloo or the chicken coop(which is 8x8 dirt floor with a small patch of cinder blocks for her to lay on). On really bad days there will be water over my ankles in some parts of the yard. There’s also an insane amount of dew every morning. They do have pallets laid down and random toys, tires and other wise to lay on so they can stand off the ground when they want.
Do you think I should give everyone medicated feed to be on the safe side?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried reading up, but didn’t find that much. How can I tell for sure if it’s hoof rot? What can I do for her habitat wise? She’s lowest goat on the totem pole so whenever it rains she will inevitably get her feet wet. She usually sleeps in the chicken coop when it does too. Is it contagious?

The jury is split on whether hoof rot is contagious or not. Some researchers say yes and some say no, I will say when we used to trim for people we often found only 1 or 2 goats with hoof rot and there was an obvious reason why, if it was contagious you would think several in a herd would have it. The cases we saw were not just slight hoof rot, we are talking almost full hoof wall separation on some, so its not like it just recently developed.

Medicated feed is for treating cocci, so no I dont think it would help the hoof rot issue.

The only way to tell for sure if it is hoof rot would be to get someone very experienced in it to come look at her or get a very experienced vet out to look at her. The treatment for hoof rot and hoof abscess is similar minus the zinc or copper sulphate bath or formalin. Basically she needs a course of strong antibiotics and her hooves trimmed as much as you can, take off everything you can until you clearly see pink hoof sole. You may need to separate her or put her into a pen/confinement to try to keep it clean and dry until it heals.

Things to help avoid this issue again. Keep her feet trimmed is the number one thing you can do. If her feet are trimmed then when she does get her feet out of the water they will dry quickly and have no water stuck to cause the rot or soften. Most issues of hoof rot are solved by keep the hooves well rimmed to make sure there are no crevices where water or manure can pack in.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a horse with an abscess hoof. It stunk and felt hot before the abscess blew out the top at the hair line.

Trim the hoof, soak as advised, treat with betadine or something for hoof rot. Maybe soak a gauze pad in the treatment and place on hoof, wrap with vet wrap for a few days, changing twice a day. You are gonna have to come up with a way to keep her dry. Maybe the calf hut and pallets with cow panels around it?

Latest posts