1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Learning colors and terms? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Hoof issues

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by KBS, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 6, 2018
    KBS

KBS Chillin' with the herd

Clover had two bucklings on Sunday. When the second one was born, one of his front legs was tucked back and he came out with one foot and head first. Now that they are up and about, I am noticing that he is not putting much weight on that front foot. After looking at it, the hoof is misshapen. It is rounded with no toe. The bottom is not flat but has several rough points. Could this have happened during birth? And is it fixable with trimmings? I was thinking of trimming off the pointy parts on the bottom, but I wasn't sure when it would be safe to trim his feet. I don't want to make anything worse. I have included pictures but they are not the greatest. He was not in a very cooperative mood. The first is a pic of him and the second of his brother. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Jun 6, 2018
    Alaskan

Alaskan True BYH Addict

huh.... no idea. oddest thing though.

3. Jun 6, 2018
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master Golden Herd Member

No I wouldn't do any trimming

Edited
    I don't know
    Looked at pics again

4. Jun 6, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Selenium toxicity can cause hoof and toe deformities. I would wait this out a bit and see how things develop. I would not trim.

Alaskan likes this.
  5. Jun 6, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

I doubt it happened during birth. May be positional - may be genetic. Is he walking any better on it than he was a couple days ago? Clearer pics would be great - but I know how hard it is to get them. If he's walking better he might wear it down...but I kind of doubt it. He's not big enough nor heavy enough yet.

I've never seen anything like that, but I think I might just trim (barely) just enough to try and level the foot, and smooth out any points. Then I'd take off anything else that is beyond the sole of the foot. I'm talking very tiny cuts. I wouldn't try to do it all at once.

Like I said - I've never seen anything like it - but corrective trimming might be best started now rather than waiting.

Wouldn't hurt to consult a vet or a farrier that is experienced with goats.... :hu

6. Jun 7, 2018
    KBS

I will see if I can get any better pics tonight. It has been cold and cloudy the last few days. Suppose to finally get sunny again. I do have a vet apt for Saturday, but our vet is an all around farm vet, does not really know goats. The farrier we use for the horses will trim goats feet, but is not that knowledgeable about them. He wasn't sure what to do.

He will put weight on it when he is bouncing around, but when just standing, he typically holds it up. I think it has to do with it not being flat on the bottom but I am just afraid of doing more harm than good.

7. Jun 8, 2018
    KBS

I am attaching better pictures if anyone has any ideas. in the one, you can see his other front foot so you can compare the two. Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. Jun 8, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

It is a birth defect.

9. Jun 8, 2018
    Alaskan

Alaskan True BYH Addict

WOWSERS!

Great photos, makes it very clear that it is not going to get better. That is one messed up foot! :hugs