1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Baymule’s 4th Lambing. - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Hoof trimming guidance, please.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by Carla D, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Dec 1, 2018
    Carla D

Carla D Loving the herd life

i have finally trimmed my little goats hoofs for the first time. I think I did a decent job. They are flat and even, but I have one question that I need clarified. It’s their heel, actually their entire sole of their hoof seems soft and it’s white. I did not trim that this time because I have a feeling that’s still developing tissue for the goats. I have circled the part in question in these pictures. Should I be working toward getting that part flat too? 5DB1B78B-4C61-4BE1-AA78-B6F78E39FC71.jpeg 0B288625-B15B-4970-B392-3482693DA6B5.jpeg 78B034B1-68D5-4AAF-B6FE-A87D10DCDBF2.jpeg

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  2. Dec 1, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

3. Dec 1, 2018
    Carla D

Do I need to trim their soft pale heels and soles? Ir just the growth around the outside?

4. Dec 2, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

in short, yes... if it's large, overgrown, severely uneven and would seem to make walking painful or difficult.

Carla D and B&B Happy goats like this.
  5. Dec 2, 2018
    Athena2344

Athena2344 Chillin' with the herd

Yes, trim everything to make the entire hoof flat

Carla D likes this.
  6. Dec 2, 2018
    Carla D

Thank you. I’m nervous about trimming that part. For the most part I do have the hoof trimmed flat, just the heal that’s a bit rounded. I will work on them. Thank you.

7. Dec 2, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

The picture below -
    The person has not completed the hoof trim. I think they snapped the pic then probably finished trimming the right toe... but go back to the left toe-
    There is substantial hoof to trim not as much on the sides but a good deal at the tip
    If you look at the right picture left toe (narrower one) at the tip you will see some what... that very likely is a type of rot.
    That needs removed.

[​IMG]

I think you did a good job. Keep in mind hooves can grow a bit wonky sometimes. On your guy notice how the on toe angles. The other toe doesn't.
    Habit is to pick up foot and trim and we think it is even, however you want to set the foot down and look at the foot first so you see where you need to remove.
    This is dependent on how the toes are. Some toes roll so fixing that is by looking at the foot and seeing if both toes need the same amount, at what angle etc.
    Long toes need shortened or they will get super long. Making sure both toes are even when the goat is standing.

Carla D likes this.
  8. Dec 3, 2018
    Carla D

Thank you. I think a couple of mine may have hoof rot as well. I waited way to long to trim their hoofs. Which means I didn’t get them cleaned out either. I’m going to make a habit of getting each goat on the stand and working with their hoofs. Even if all I do is clean them a little, or manipulate their leg and hoof, so they can get used to being handled. If any of my guys have hoof rot, is that something that will eventually grow down to the bottoms and then be cut off? They just had a dose of draxxin midweek last week. I think hoof rot might be one of the things I read that it will help improve as well. If I have to, I’ll get each one on the stand every other day. To keep their toes clean and monitor progress.

Do some goats have more pointed toes than others? After I trimmed them I let them put their foot down to see if the entire hoof touched the ground, but maybe I have their hoofs trimmed at slightly the wrong angle and that’s why they look so pointed. Thank you for your hoof trimming help.

9. Dec 3, 2018
    Athena2344

If you said you hadn't trimmed them in a while, then the hoof will start growing narrower , making the toe pointed.

Carla D likes this.
  10. Dec 3, 2018
    Athena2344

I typically trim my show goat's hooves about once a month but sometimes twice for my billy cause he is young