Hoof trimming help

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trimming my goats hooves (fairly new to this) and I realized the heel part is round and kind of growing sideways onto the other toe now (please see attached picture) How do I go about this? I tried trimming a bit of it and I saw it's white inside - and was scared to dig deeper before I seek some help. Can I trim the black part/heel you see in the picture?

hoof.jpg

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes you can trim the flat part of the heel, you can also trim the part that is growing inwardly. ..just do a little less on the inwardly one until you are comfortable doing it .....:thumbsup

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I buy my hoof trimming shears at Tractor Supply... $27,
there are some cheaper and some more expensive but these have served me very well.
I also use them to trim the kid and adult goats horns to heep them more rounded and not pointed...you can watch you tube vidios to get the information on hoof trimming, it is not as difficult as some make it out to be. I do my goats by myself without help.....:)
@DellaMyDarling

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, whatever is needed to get the job done.

$27 At TSC seems a good budget deal, but options are nice too

It wasn't so much the budget part, it was the tool itself that I find works best for my use....don't need a whole bunch of tools to trim and care for goat hoofs, it's pretty simple :)

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, whatever is needed to get the job done.

$27 At TSC seems a good budget deal, but options are nice too

Ah..Like B&B said, you really don't need much, this is my third time trimming and I use the same TSC ones that B&B uses, hence the same price..lol but it's fairly easy, a couple of youtube videos will help get the job done.

Those TSC shears are pretty sharp and will cut with no effort. You just have to know how much to cut, that's why I was on here today, I was afraid to cut through the heels and I didn't find anyone on youtube mentioning those in particular.

Work your way a little by little, you can always cut more, If you cut too deep at once, there's no going back (keep a goat first aid kit on site at all times anyway). Good luck!