Hoof Trimming

WV_RoyalWhite

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I need help with trimming hooves. Am I supposed to trim the flat portion of the hoof bottom that is shown in the photo between my thumb and forefinger. Its kinda soft, and I'm not sure if It needs trimmed. Also, how short do I make the tips of the hoof that grows long. Thanks.

IMAG0015-1.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only trim the portions that are extending past the "frog" of the hooves...the soft portion you are holding between your thumb and finger. You will see a thinner, more hard portion extending on the outside and end of that area that resembles a fingernail. Be careful not to extend into the "quick" of the nail. It may leave an area open to infection....some folks have done it with no bad results at all but I'm pretty cautious. It looks as if it would hurt to draw blood in these areas.

I try not to get too over-zealous on hoof trimming and any small mistakes one makes in shaping of the points will just naturally wear off evenly later. I just try to trim it to the extent that they look neat and proportionally trimmed to provide even wear.

First, I try to clean out the little dips so that I can see just what is hard nail and what is soft horn, then I try to trim safely away from that soft area.

WV_RoyalWhite

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So its okay for me to trim the soft portion between my fingers then and make the bottom of the hoof level, is this correct?? Just want to make sure I do it right.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch a blade to the soft portion...that is their foot pad. The hard edge that grows beyond the soft portion is the part you trim. I never have to trim anything off the back end of their hooves....just the sides and the front.

Imagine a dog's toenail....a sheep's is only larger and requires a few side trims now and again.

nsanywhere

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Be careful. As others have said, hoof trimming can lead to infection and trouble if done incorrectly. The point is to trim extra "nail" that is curling under and trapping dirt, poo, gunk between hoof and skin, a perfect breeding ground for all sorts of bad stuff.

No, you should not trim the pad - the soft part of the hoof.

I did a quick google search and found lots of good images - check them out yourself. "sheep hoof trimming"

Also found this page with good information and lots of pics
http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/HoofTrim.html

Good luck!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I do trim the heel flat. They can get overgrown and get mis-shapen. It's hard to explain, so I drew on your picture in Paint. :lol:

IMAG0015-1edit.jpg

Also, I did a post on my blog about hoof trimming. Here it is. :) And try not to worry too much if you make them bleed. As long as you don't really cut deeply, they stop bleeding and are usually fine.

Latest posts