Hoppy Hoppers rabbitry updates

Hatties Hoppy Hoppers journal.
Currently I raise Mini Rex, Meat rabbits, "my does are NZW and buck is a Californian" and I have some lionheads. I started showing Mini Rex as of Oct 2017.
Right now I have a litter of 7 and a half week old mini rexes and a litter of 6 week olds. I'll have to post some pict of them. It the older litter there are 3 broken blacks and 2 Charlie's. The younger litter has 3 black, 2 REW and a broken blue Charlie.
I am expecting my NZW doe to have her first litter tonight so we will see how she does.
Within the next 3 and a half weeks I should have 7 mini Rex, 1 lionhead and 3 NZ litters born.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry it took so long for a update. Sunday my NZW doe had a litter of 8. They all are doing great. White King the mom pulled plenty of fur for them.

Attachments

• IMAG0734.jpg
    IMAG0734.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 327

Sorry to say 3 of the NZ babies crawled out of the nest box and died. Another NZW doe had a litter of 6.
Last night my broken black otter mini rex had a litter of 6. I was surprised by the colors. She had 3 broken blacks, 1 black and 2 REW. I have no idea where they came from. None of the parents of their pedigrees had REW anywhere.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
REW can hide for generations! So yes it can pop up almost out of no where.
I love pedigrees that actually show genotypes. Gives a better idea of "suprises".
Congratulations on your litter.
:weee

Last edited:

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Last night my broken black otter mini rex had a litter of 6. I was surprised by the colors. She had 3 broken blacks, 1 black and 2 REW. I have no idea where they came from. None of the parents of their pedigrees had REW anywhere.

I like pedigrees with known genotypes and I do mine that way, but as @promiseacres suggested, REW being a recessive gene, you would not see one until you bred two that had it even if you could not see it. By crossing with a NZW, I recently found chinchilla in my Blue Silver Fox doe...had no idea and it really should not be there, but there it is. I might have seen it before in brokens or one self chin offspring over a year ago, but we were just doing meat rabbits and I was not into genetics at the time, so I did not "see" it before.

Just got to love rabbit genetics! :confused:

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree that none of them will be REWs. I made a mistake in thinking two I had were otters recently and they actually were a chestnut and a chinchilla, but at least yours came from an otter. Still, be patient and give it some time. They need to get their fur in. I have decided that I will wait until their eyes are open before I try to figure out their phenotypes.

The first picture is of one of the New Zealand babies from the older litter. Second picture is from the younger litter. The younger litter defiantly caught up in size.
IMAG0777.jpg
IMAG0780.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: