Horn banding

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are UTD on shots. I hope this works.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at your pics again make your notches on the side not the front
And if you can't get it all the way down to the head I wouldn't worry too much about it
He really looks like a good candidate to band
Much less horn there than we had

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looking at your pics again make your notches on the side not the front
And if you can't get it all the way down to the head I wouldn't worry too much about it
He really looks like a good candidate to band
Much less horn there than we had

Ok. That maybe easier to see and get it right.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is one done. We couldnt get the others to stay on. Hope this is right!
20170323_172602.jpg

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The bands just grew up. I put them at the hair line and well now u can see an indention on the tips of his horns now where they were. His mom was taking one side off so i had to reapply it several times. So for now he has horns..

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20170606_092733.jpg
He has 2 rings on his horns. I think the ones on the very tip is from the disbudding we had done at the vet. And the second is from the bands. The rest is testosterone. Lol. I dont know if i will try again unless he trys to use them on me. So far he is very docile.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 35626 He has 2 rings on his horns. I think the ones on the very tip is from the disbudding we had done at the vet. And the second is from the bands. The rest is testosterone. Lol. I dont know if i will try again unless he trys to use them on me. So far he is very docile.
Thanks for responding! I'm going to try to band a buckling whose disbudding was a fail. I hope I can get the job done.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for responding! I'm going to try to band a buckling whose disbudding was a fail. I hope I can get the job done.
Let me know if it works. We learned a hard and expensive lesson. Just deal and stomach the yells of disbudding and make sure ita done right. The one we did worked. The other 3 done by the vet did not. My husband said never again. He will just do them.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a Saanen kid who our vet disbudded and whose horns grew back. :( I asked our vet if she thought we could band them, but unfortunately she said it would have to be a more major surgical procedure to remove them. We'll be disbudding on our own next time, too.