Horn broke - degloved

Hutch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our 3 1/2 year old Zebu lost a horn except for the bone inside. She now has a bloody stump for a horn.

A previous owner tried to dehorn her and it didn't go well. Her horns have not looked good since we got her. We have had her since March, about seven months.

Reading elsewhere it says that it will heal after a few days it will scab over, or something like it.

The furry area at the base of her horn looks a little swollen. She seems ok otherwise, good appetite and acting normally.

Any suggestions for what we could do for her? She is kinda wild and we are limited in handling her.

Will the outer horn grow back?

Darby Harris

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Similar situation with our goat, we put Iodine on the wound and it eventually scabbed over and healed. If she will come for food you might can lure her in with a bit of food and pour a small container of Iodine on the horn area. Good luck!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does it look something like this? This is a bull that lost his horn sheath about 6 hrs prior to this pic being taken. That is congealed blood you see on the horn, but it is already beginning to harden.
7e03.jpg

No, the outer part of the horn (sheath) will not grow back "usually".
It will harden after awhile tho, but until it does (probably 2 days) you just want to watch for infection and try to do something for any fly problem you may have. I sprayed this one with 5% Permethrin mixed at a rate of 1/2 oz per 2 gal of water, just to keep the flies away--it happenedin September last year here in East Texas. I still have this bull and he's fit as a fiddle today.
Keep in mind, that de-sheathed horn is going to be very tender for a while until the outer gooey stuff hardens again, so don't go grabbing it.
I've heard of people coating the horn with paraffin, but I did nothing to this one.