Horned goat hurting goats without horns

amagana

Just born
Reaction score
We have 5 nubian does. 4 do not have horns and 1 has horns. The horned goat has been chasing the other does around the pen and often hooks her horns under their neck and belly. We are scared that she may seriously injure them. She especially goes after the new doe we got, cornering her and ramming into her over and over. We separated her and she is currently living with the sheep (who she doesnt bother), but we are wondering what we could do about this problem. We tried attaching tennis balls to her horns so they wouldnt be so dangerous but they kept falling off. Are there any good long term solutions? How do you guys feel about dehorning with bands? Should we just sell her? We also have two bucks with horns that are separated but I dont know if it would be a good idea to stick her with them full time. Do you guys think she would calm down if we separated her for awhile and then reintroduced her to the other does? We would really prefer not to sell her but if it comes down to it then we will. Please give ideas on what we should do. Thank you.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some people dehorn with the bands an have success...worth a try for sure
If she is going after the new doe, the. She is probably asserting her position within the herd as the dynamics change when introducing a new member..
I would leave her with the sheep for awhile (2 weeks ) and then reintroduce her to the herd, she will be the " new doe" so she may not be as agressive, you can also attach tubing over one horn to the other and duct tape it to the horns..just a few things that we have done and had success with, :highfive:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would sell this doe. Goats with horns are a danger to the other does in the pen. They can also use their horns on you. A pygmy goat once tossed her head and open up a 4" slice in my leg. I was there feeding for a friend. The height of a goat's head when tossing her head is at the height of a child's eye too. A harned goat belonging to a friend once sliced open the belly of a pony. The pony was the goat's stable mate and they were buddies. She wasn't trying to hurt it, just caught it with her horn.

I disbudded all my goats as kids, even the Boers. I would also get rid of the horned bucks. If you want a breeding buck, get one that has been disbudded.

Another problem with horned goats is that they tend to tear up feeders and fences and also get tangled in them by the horns.

Other than that, this goat is establishing herd order. That is why she is picking on the new goat. She is probably already the herd ueen because of her ability to hurt the other goats with her horns.