Resource icon

Horns? Dis-bud? Polled?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern by choice submitted a new resource:

Horns? Dis-bud? Polled? - Advantages and disadvantages

Horned, Dis-Budded, and Polled Goats

Goat keepers have strong opinions about leaving horns intact or disbudding.

Those that are showing goats will follow the guidelines for their breed. Meat goats are left with their horns, dairy goats are disbudded. The majorities of goat keepers however, are not showing and simply have their goats for pets, meat, milk and fiber. Many who ask the question “should I or not” will be bombarded with passionate replies.

The purpose of this page is to...

Read more about this resource...

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just wanted to say again, I enjoyed your article, and the timing of it was key. I had been asked by a new breeder to help disbud their goats. I said yes. I hate disbudding goats. I suggested they read your article.

You mentioned in your article a fellow herdsman had offered to disbud your mini Mancha, I think that was probably me unless someone else offered as well. :)

When you decided to get your vet to do it, I was actually quite relieved. I offered because I want to support fellow breeders, but I hate disbudding goats. I think it is the part of breeding I hate the most. Our vet told us that he hates to do it as well.

But, we consider it a necessary evil. We would not even consider leaving horns on our goats.

I was contacted recently by a new breeder who has had 8 kids in the month of Dec. She asked us would we be willing to help her with disbudding. Of course, I said yes but like I said, I hate disbudding my own.

I thought I was off the hook. She had a vet out on Tuesday to help with a kidding, and I told her "here's a crazy idea, why don't you get him to disbud them" .

He could not do it then, because he did not have a tip small enough to do a Nigerian.

Interestingly enough, the vet told her that he thought that it was better to disbud without sedation, that sedation was a bigger stress on the animal.

I've thought that myself, but I've never heard a vet say it.

As much as I hate it, I guess I'm disbudding somebody elses goats on Sat.

If you want to watch, to see for yourself what it's like, you know where I'm doing it, and you are welcome to come observe. It may give you a new perspective.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:) Yes that was you! Thank You! I still would love to see and learn the method without sedation too. I don't know if I could do it... :hide If it becomes something we have to regularly do than I guess I would have to.

It is very gracious of you to offer this much needed service in the goat community!

It is true many feel it is riskier to sedate, yet I think it also depends on the vet. I know some that will do mild and some full sedation. I also have seen so many different "thoughts" from different vets about when to dis-bud and I think it can get very confusing for many who are new in the goat world. Understanding the timing of disbudding IMO is also very important. Waiting too long will usually end up with scurs or a bad disbudding. Some vets will not do a disbudding after 10 days with the exception of doelings that sometimes take a few weeks or so. One of the vets here in our region absolutely will not because of the higher incidence of scurs developing.

Not all vets are very experienced with disbudding, they may be great at diagnosis etc but disbudding may not necessarily be their "forte". IMHO I think there are many breeders that are better at the procedure than many vets. ;)

Asking questions and knowing what to ask is important. Unfortunately sometimes vets can give bad info, yet because they are the vet .... well, you know.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw the edit... I'm a slow typer!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank You! I really would love to come! I will check and make sure it is ok with the other party as well!

I am really glad you are doing the disbudding!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You tell the OP that I said it's OK. But, this is a hands on session. So, you are helping, OK?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure! I will do as instructed :D ... unless the other party passes out then maybe I will tend to them. :lol: Just kidding!

Actually I think they will do fine, they will have good support!
Hope it is a yes! I will call tomorrow!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure! I will do as instructed :D ... unless the other party passes out then maybe I will tend to them. :lol: Just kidding!

Actually I think they will do fine, they will have good support!
Hope it is a yes! I will call tomorrow!
I think their is a good chance of the other party passing out.