Horns growing AFTER disbudding?

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have 4 month-and-a-half Nubian doelings that were disbudded at 12-14 days(one set was born two days earlier and we did them all on the same day) I know, I know, you're supposed to do them earlier, but the shipment was late.
So anyway, one goat from each set of twins has grown horns about an inch long. Not scurs, properly developed horns. None of the homes that are taking these babies want horns, so I was wondering if we could just burn them again? I don't want to gouge or anything...
(yes, I know, I'm sorry, I never posted pictures)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
You can try reburning them, it doesn't always work. Same rules apply, don't leave it on too long, go for the 'copper ring', then (my own lil trick) use the side of the disbudder to burn the center of the horn in sort of an X shape.

I get more scurs / grow backs w/ the bucklings than the doelings.
Darn horns, anyway....

onedozenphyllises

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had the same problem with our first kids - they actually belonged to a friend at that time and we helped her disbud all the kids. It was everyone's first time to do it. ALL of them grew horns. We thought we had done it right, but apparently not. We had our little boy surgically dehorned by a vet at about 3 months old - FYI, it cost us about $100 but was totally worth it. No trauma, no open holes in his head, no horns to worry about. Our doe still has hers. Looks like they'll stay, too, since she's 8 months old now. We think we didn't keep the iron on long enough (it's so hard when they're little and wailing!). We know better now.

I have heard that you can re-burn if they're small enough for the iron to still fit over them, but we didn't see our goats between the time we disbudded and when they came to live with us after weaning, and by then they were too big to re-burn.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It happens to many people. Many times you find that the iron was not preheated long enough beforehand.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had one that started growing what looked to be a perfect little pointy horn after disbudding, but it ended up basically being hollow.. It fell off at some point and she ended up with little round nubby scurs.. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I didn't get a good copper ring.

As for making an 'x' in the center of the horn bud....my understanding is that the goal of the copper ring is to be sure that all the blood vessels are destroyed in a ring around the horn bud.. No blood vessels means no blood flow, so the horn cells starve. If you leave even one spot that's not crispy copper, blood can still flow and some of the cells will live, leaving your goat with a scur..

Point being, so long as you get the copper ring, you shouldn't really need to burn the horn bud itself. It won't hurt the disbudding if you do, but for me....as little time as I can spend with an 1,100 degree iron in close proximity to a baby goat's ears and eyes, the better.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At this point, I would wait until the goat is about 6 months old, and then I would band the horn.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
trestlecreek said:
At this point, I would wait until the goat is about 6 months old, and then I would band the horn.
Probably not an option, since the OP said none of homes that are taking them want horns.. Can't really expect to sell someone a goat that was supposed to be disbudded and say "Oh, by the way..you're going to have to band these horns...."

Plus...6mo is only six weeks from now, since they're 4-1/2mo old. That tells me the "horn" isn't really growing much at all. If it were a normal horn, it should be much longer than 1" at 4-1/2mo of age.

My guess is that the horns you see growing are really just hollow, leathery shells, and that they'd pop right off and reveal a little roundish, blunt, nubbin of a scur. If so, the nubbin will continue to grow really slowly and probably never amount to much. So long as a scur isn't growing back into the skull or flesh, I don't worry about them.

You don't want them if you can avoid it, obviously, but a scur wouldn't prevent me from buying a goat that I otherwise liked, let's put it that way. Horns would, but not scurs.

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
trestlecreek said:
Probably not an option, since the OP said none of homes that are taking them want horns.. Can't really expect to sell someone a goat that was supposed to be disbudded and say "Oh, by the way..you're going to have to band these horns...."

Plus...6mo is only six weeks from now, since they're 4-1/2mo old. That tells me the "horn" isn't really growing much at all. If it were a normal horn, it should be much longer than 1" at 4-1/2mo of age.

My guess is that the horns you see growing are really just hollow, leathery shells, and that they'd pop right off and reveal a little roundish, blunt, nubbin of a scur. If so, the nubbin will continue to grow really slowly and probably never amount to much. So long as a scur isn't growing back into the skull or flesh, I don't worry about them.

You don't want them if you can avoid it, obviously, but a scur wouldn't prevent me from buying a goat that I otherwise liked, let's put it that way. Horns would, but not scurs.
There's four of them, not four months. Each is one month and a half old.
Thanks for all of the good info guys!
So what I'm taking away from this is that I should burn them again, then if that doesn't work, see the vet. Am I right?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
nn said:
There's four of them, not four months. Each is one month and a half old.
wow...I totally gacked it, didn't I? :gig

Ok, so...n/m on everything I said.

:D

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can try to re-burn them, but you run a risk of thermal damage to the brain. It takes several months for a goats head to heal from just one burn. Personally, I wouldn't take that risk, but ultimately that's a choice you have to make.
As far as banding, that is the safest alternative. You can put the band on 4 weeks before selling the kids and explain the situation.
A vet would likely surgically dehorn the goat. That is a risky operation with a long recovery period.

Latest posts