Horrible Hooves

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is no wonder that the animal was standing poorly. The hooves clearly have severe laminitis, rotation of the P3, and hoof capsule. Cases such as this are negligence. I completely agree that there are dangerous animals who end up with very bad feet because they can't be handled. I have actually tried working on some of those animals. Since you described this animal as a part of a petting zoo type exhibit, that means the owners are using the animal for profit. Also, if the animal is safe enough to allow the public to pet it, even across a fence, then it is safe enough to be handled. The simple fact that the owners are using the animal for profit and the hooves are in that bad of condition, probably makes this criminally negligent. I am actually extremely hesitant to involved regulators in most cases, however, this type of case is a different category to me. The owners are not ignorant/in over their head. They are operating a business.
I would absolutely approach the owners and question the hooves. If the animal can't be handled to be trimmed, then there is no way it is safe enough to be trusted for public interaction.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I agree with Queenmum and Sawfish. There's no excuse for them to have that animal's feet in such poor condition. Even worse since it's a Zonkey...that means it was bred and someone should have worked with it at a young age to do its feet. There's no excuse to let the feet get that bad AND put it on display for the public.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also wondered how safe this Zonkey was for children petting...although it may not come to the fence for petting and may just be there for its looks? Once I had an opportunity to buy one when a petting zoo was going out of business and I was very tempted to buy it for eye candy in my pasture with my horses. Luckily, my Dad gave me the heads up on taking on a wild animal and I passed...hadn't even thought of trimming hooves and giving shots...could have been a challenge, not to mention how it would react to my horses and ponies.

If this were my animal, I suppose an option would be to sedate it and do the hooves, check teeth, and give shots while it was down. In the wild, zebras would be on terrain that would normally wear down the hooves naturally.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is the owners responsibility to properly care for the animal, no excuses. If you cannot trim the feet, you have no place in owning that animal. Why on earth do we need zebra in zoos anyway? Leave them alone in the wild. Obviously this zoo is far too small and to ill equipt to be keeping such animals.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have NOT yet heard back. And this is a very well known place, and has been featured on National Geographic and Animal Planet, and has done small, 20 minute info videos for a German nature show.

:/

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Poor zonkey.... If you can't keep up with an animals health, DONT OWN THE ANIMAL. Hope you here back soon, I love zebras AND donkeys, albiet a donkeys a bit more since I can more safely own one, but no animal should go untreated unless it can wear down its hooves, but then yo have to think about shots etc.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
FYI. Calls and emails went ignored. I have not heard a word back about the zonkey's condition. It makes me sad. I am curious if they HAVE actually done something, but I won't support their zoo with an entrance fee. If in fact nothing has changed, then I'd essentially be donating money to support abhorrent animal care.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remembered this story. Thanks for the update.
Did the farm not answer or Animal Control? Sorry, I was clear on who you'd contacted.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for the update...sorry no one called you back, but wonder if someone did go out there to investigate instead of calling you? Hope that poor thing got proper attention. Guess the only way to know is to go back there, but I understand you not wanting to support that outfit.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
I remembered this story. Thanks for the update.
Did the farm not answer or Animal Control? Sorry, I was clear on who you'd contacted.
Sorry, I forgot to mention. I contacted both the zoo, and the closet I could find of the county's animal control. Never heard back from either.

It is definitely possible someone did investigate and something was done. But it would have been nice to hear some word on the matter.

Latest posts