horse food ok?

fitzy

Just born
Reaction score
okay, i normally wouldn't just randomly give one animal food that was meant for another but the feed store closed before i could get there and the mower with a bagger (i feed most of my critters fresh clippings) crapped out yesterday...soooo, i gave my rabbits food that was meant for horses. its a mix of corn, molases, oats and some other random stuff......anyone know why i shouldn't do this again?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Just the corn alone is bad for rabbits, not to mention the molasses and the pellet that is in there. Not all the grains are good for rabbits either.

Do you give them hay? I'm sure they would be fine if you just give them hay until you get more rabbit feed.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the ingredients, your feed sounds like some type of "sweet feed." It most likely is way too high is sugars to be good for rabbits (rabbits need a low carbohydrate, high fiber diet). Some people would hotly debate whether it's even good for horses, but I'm not going there! :hide

fitzy

Just born
Reaction score
apparently some of the rabbits "knew" it wasn't good for them as their food bowls were still full. the rest seemed fine with it, but now they're all back on normal grass and pellets....got the mower fixed this morning :)

thanks folks!

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also rabbits have different nutritional needs then horses :) I wouldn't give them horse food all the time! Glad they are ok.