Horse help!!

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have always called myself a horse person, because I have always loved horses and had one of my own five years ago. Who would have known that I would end up with my neighbors pony. she is a very temperamental little pony. I decided I would ride her because her old owners never took the time to ride her. She was a very good pony but she did have a few problems. When I tied her to the post she was very pulley and wanting to eat grass the whole time. After I got on her and saddled her up she would go out were I wanted her to go and then stop. I gave a kick but she didnt budge I was forced to get of of her and lead her around instead. As I was leading her around I noticed she started to try and bite me, and she kepted trying to bite me over and over again. Do you guys think that you could help me out.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking she doesn't respect you at all. Try round penning her to get her doing what you want on the ground and then try again mounted. Maybe a whip will also help get your point across.

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have tried a whip before and she does not even want to move still. We don`t have a round pen right now but I could try taking her around in circles.

Thanks i`ll get back to you :)

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, I would say get a lounge line (and you don't really need a round pen) and run her until you see her starting to lick and chew (a sign of submission) and dropping her head. It could take a while... But don't give in, it will only make her more stubborn next time!!

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have noticed that she has started to drop her head when i ride her witch is a very good sign. She has gotten a lot better about not biting me while lead her around. I was very pleased of this and rewarded her with a big apple. I simply took her back in the pen and took off her halter, I was expecting her to run away after I did this but instead she wanted to follow me back in the pen. I was very happy about these signs of respect. I think I will just keep riding her every day and see how she reacts, and if she starts to show me more signs of respect.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting through to her. Some ponies are just stubborn because they have only been around young children, and no one made them mind.