Horse rolling/laying down almost constantly

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, my elderly mare, Moon is rolling almost constantly. When she isn’t, she’s just laying down, usually flat out. I did get her up just to see if she could, but she just tried to lay down again.
I didn’t notice anything abnormal yesterday, and she ate her grain fine this morning. She has pooped, and it looks normalish. I first noticed this maybe, 2 hours ago? Colic maybe? She has been colicky before, I think twice while I’ve had her. A vet isn’t an option right now, so if anyone could help that would be amazing. Thank you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like colic to me too.... agree with @Baymule ... if gaseous, and she keeps rolling she could twist a gut and then a vet will be totally required if you can save her.... a twisted gut can kill her. So yep, get her up and walking and get some stuff in her to help her pass the gas and get the stomach working better. You may find that you are going to have to cut down or cut out the grain too....

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! We did a phone call with the a vet tech and she had us tell her some things, she figured Moon should be brought in to the clinic, so we did. She gave her water with epsom salt and sent us home with instructions to walk her till she pooped. She’s now doing fine.
I really wish I’d checked this before going to the vet, knowing I could’ve fixed it myself without spending all the $$$$

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She’s back to her normal crabby self, but she rubbed most of her mane out rolling :hit it used to be past her shoulder and thick and flowy.
1D8A6A80-1002-4B6E-846E-BE511ED6F6EA.jpeg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so glad she's better!! And, thanks for the update...so many times folks come on places, asking for advice, then you never hear what happened to the animal after that. Good to know the people on here had some good advice that matched up with vet recommendations and it all worked out.

Look at all of that timothy!!! Lucky horse!

Latest posts