Horse Shoes

Cascade Hill Farm

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, I might be getting a horse and I was wondering if it matters if i get him shoed or not. I plan on using him on the trails and doing some cutting or roping. If I should get him shoed how often do I have to get the shoes changed. :idunno

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cascade Hill Farm said:
Hi, I might be getting a horse and I was wondering if it matters if i get him shoed or not. I plan on using him on the trails and doing some cutting or roping. If I should get him shoed how often do I have to get the shoes changed. :idunno
IMO horses are healthier without shoes. However, if his feet are soft or crack easily, shoes are a good idea. I would speak with the owner and ask about his hoof history. If he is barefoot, keep him barefoot. If he is shod, I personally would try supplements and try to keep him barefoot because its better for the horse and cheaper over all. But if he has genetically poor quality feet, then he will need shoes.

Cutters and ropers can be barefoot. Trail horses are generally better if they are barefoot.

Horse feet are usually done every 6-8 but it depends on the individual. Some need it every 4 weeks, some can go longer.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am a barefoot trimmer and believe horses should be barefoot. If your horse has issues, there are a wide variety of hoof boots available that are better for the horse than shoes. This can be a very polarizing discussion in the horse world.
My I trim client horses on a 6 week rotation. Hooves with issues get 4 week trims.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It certainly IS a polarizing topic among horse users!

I believe a horse needs shoes for preventing excessive hoof wear, down into
the soft hoof tissues. Or for traction, to keep the shiny side up, while horse
is being used. Barefoot is fine too, as long as horse can grow hoof back fast
enough to protect his feet, while you are riding and using him.

There can be some exceptions, horses with poor feet, poor hoof quality, no
sole depth, special considerations that will require shoes to keep horse
moving soundly in use or even pastured.

Horse will usually need hoof attention from 6-8 weeks apart, whether it
is a trim or getting worn shoes off to replace or reset. The hoof continues
to grow and is not shortened when wearing shoes, so excess length needs
removing from under the shoes. Early Spring and Summer is when hooves
grow the fastest, ready to run in the wild, to get to good grazing locations,
breeding season, so they would travel a lot and wear off the hooves. Winter
months usually have slower hoof growth, so 8 weeks is a common time
between trims then.

Boots can work for some animals, but it will depend a lot on shape of the
hoof, how well boots fit him. Boots have other issues, with needing to
be put on every time you need them, some don't stay on well, and ill-fitting
boots can cause sores and rubbing. They are not cheap to buy, though many
folk say they last well in use.

I have not seen or heard of folks using boots
in many Ranch-type activities, like cutting or roping. Usually their horses are
shod not barefoot, since those jobs are wearing on the hooves with running, turns, holding
the captured animal. They also need the traction of the shoes, to aid in stopping
roped animals if they are larger, weightier, to keep the hooves under the horse.

Guess I don't consider it "barefoot" if horse NEEDS boots to do their work. He can be
bare in the paddock, but wears "alternative protection devices" if boots are put on those
bare hooves. Not bad or wrong, but horse is NOT TRULY going barefoot in his working
areas. Guess it is a matter of wrong "name term" being used for what is done to
the horse hooves using boots, then folks bragging up their (falsely) "Barefoot Horse" and
saying bad things about metal shoes.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends fully on the horse, healthwise. Certain sports might require it, which I hate.
If the horse comes with shoes, continue shoeing until a good farrier can check her/him out to see if the horse ~can~ go barefoot.
Some horse feet just cannot be barefoot, poor breeding or feeding makes it impossible.

My two horses came shoe-less, never had them and never will need them, unless something injures the hoof.

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 6 horses and they are all barefoot, and have their feet balanced every 6 weeks. I use them primarily for cattle work and trail riding. I ride in some very rugged country and have not had a problem with their hooves wearing faster than they grow. One of my horses came from my sister - she was her favorite barrel/rope horse - she has won 3 saddles and plenty of cash - and she has never worn shoes.

I would love to see any studies that have been done that show a metal shoe nailed to a horses hoof provides them with better traction than a bare hoof.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CritterZone said:
I would love to see any studies that have been done that show a metal shoe nailed to a horses hoof provides them with better traction than a bare hoof.
As mentioned, shoeing for traction would depend on the job horse was doing. Visiting friends who are ranchers, the daily use horses are kept shod. They
do this because they believe horse needs it to do the best job possible. They ranch in Montana, Wyoming. Those horses go out for all day work. The
young horses, used a couple days a week, often are not shod, not being used hard or in jobs requiring traction. I am SURE if they thought horses could
do the same work unshod, they would not shoe. Horses are shod by the family, who would MUCH rather do other jobs instead!

My uncle in New Mexico, didn't shoe his ranch horses. He also went on rocks and mountain trails, but said his horses were fine barefoot for his needs.
He didn't tend to do a lot of roping of cattle, but drove cattle to a corral for doctoring, said it was easier because he was usually alone. He also had a
string of horses, so no single animal was used enough to wear feet down to tender tissue.

We shoe our horses who go on pavement, ice, conditioning miles and are used for Driving on hard ground, because the shoes grip the ground
surfaces better than bare hooves while they work. Doing those conditioning miles would have them down to soft tissue in short order, with
no time to grow more hoof. They have very good hooves, could easily be barefoot, but barefoot is not for the work we ask of them. I know
a couple QUITE successful Barrel racers who used barefoot horses, but had to shoe their second or third
horse to get good times. Depends on the horse, you do what works best for each one in their type work.

The local Hunt Club gets all the horses shod with ice studs when it gets cold here, to keep their feet under them while chasing fox or coyote
all winter long. A barefoot horse galloping over that terrain wouldn't be able to keep up, or maybe even stay upright. Studs also grip well
so horses can jump off the hard or frozen ground, with no slipping on take-off or landing. Those horses go out twice a week all winter long,
over every surface, even sheet ice. The only days off are for ice-topped snow, because the ice breaks thru under the Hounds, to cut the Hounds legs.

The traction differences are visible in watching shod or barefoot animals go in various settings. Though I am sure there are a number of studies in all
uses of the horse, for shoe traction over going barefoot to provide scientific evidence. Going barefoot is fine. Just be aware that shoes could
help the horse do his job better in some jobs he does. And again, certain animals have issues that shoes can aid, to allow the equine comfort
or the ability to perform at all. Those certain animals cannot go barefoot comfortably EVER. A switch from shod to bare, should have an
equine moving easily, NOT LAME or sore when done. Not waiting a couple weeks to use him. There should be NO long time to transition, or
perhaps his trimn is not leaving enough on to work, if he has no true issues. Some Farriers just can't allow enough hoof left on equines to be
comfortable after hoof work. I can pull shoes off our horses, go riding barefoot after last hoof is trimmed. Same thing with putting shoes on.
Horse can be ridden after last shoe is applied and finished.

There SHOULD be no waiting time to use the equine when Farrier is done with him, shod or bare.