Horse with a bowed tendon

OkieFarmer22

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I wrote about a 7 year old gelding for a barrel prospect. But when I wrote to the owners they said that he had injured his leg, and now he has scar tissue, or a bowed tendon. He has been out in the pasture for the past year, They said he is very fast and athletic and bucks while he's in the pasture. They're not sure if his leg bothers him because they haven't ridden him in a year.. Do bowed tendons bother horses at all if gallop, or ride on them for too long or try to do barrels on them?

Dogsincharge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A horse with a bowed tendon or tendinitis usually involves disruption with the tendon fibers and can hurt the horse when galloping jumping etc. Although I wouldn't recommend it, some of them heal of it while others don't depending if it's really bad. A large area turnout is discouraged. Just a small amount of running and galloping on him is enough to re-injure the weakened tendon. Do you know how bad it is? If you are planning on riding him galloping etc.. I definitely don't recommend it.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
An animal the size of a horse tendon damage will heal but never be the same. This horse may be suitable for easy trail riding but I would venture to say his athletic career is over. Just depends on what his new purpose is.