1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. When do dwarf goats sacs fall off after banding? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Hourly farm help

Discussion in 'Fencing, Housing, Manure Management' started by Mrs1885, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Apr 21, 2019
    Mrs1885

Mrs1885 Loving the herd life

Looking for input of paying for farm help.

I'm in a very rural area of middle TN. Most people here make federal minimum wage. $10 an hour is considered good pay for hourly labor workers.

We needed someone to clean the sheep, goat and pig stalls. They have winter bedding so it's definitely the hardest time to clean with straw piled a couple feet high.

Pens are 8x10. We provide everything needed. The ad I placed offered $100. When we do it, it takes a few hours. So basically $33 an hour.

Girl got here this morning and is doing a good job but it's very slow going. Hubby just checked on her, took her a bottle of water and said she's complaining that she didn't know it would be this much work and isn't happy with pay. There is hay that has to come out of the fenced goat yard as well to be fair. But even with it in there, it really should only be 4 hours max. She's close to done and has been working about 5 hours.

I got $120 from the bank for her because she sat in our driveway for an hour. Said she knocked but we didn't hear her and the dogs didn't bark. She called my phone but it was on the charger downstairs so I didn't hear it. That hour was ENTIRELY my fault and I feel she should be compensated.

So my question is what would you pay? Should I do more? Or is what I'm paying ($120) fair? Don't want anyone to feel we shorted them but even at 5 hours work and one hour sitting in the driveway, she's making $20 an hour tax free. Hell, it's more than I make before taxes and what I make around here is considered upper income level.

Thoughts?

2. Apr 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Sounds fair to me. I've paid anywhere from $10 - $12 an hour to high school kids. I stayed with them and worked right alongside them so I know it wasn't too much for them. This was about 5 years ago though - maybe wages have gone up since then...

3. Apr 21, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

I think that is more than a "just" compensation....I have found it best to have an amount in mind, and just make the "deal" with an amount for a completed job.....this eliminates the "time" factor and it gives them incentive to get it done, cause they want to get done....."by the hour" work only gets dragged out, so the "goal" is reached of the amount "needed".....I really miss having the young man around we once had....he was Great and needed no supervision.....most these days are looking for "something for nothing".....ya may want to check with your local 4-H and see if there are any youngsters with animals would like to make some extra $$....they will know ahead of time, just what to expect.....:)

4. Apr 21, 2019
    Mrs1885

I went and told her to just pile it in the open field a bit away from the pens. Once it dries up I'll burn it off. She said she likes the animals and planned to spend all day here. Her problem was it was just harder labor than she expected.

It is hard but I don't want her here all day. Not to be mean, but we had reservations to take our girls and their families to dinner for Easter. I moved it back an hour but can't do more. Not sure how to get her to pick up the pace. :/

B&B Happy goats and CntryBoy777 like this.
  5. Apr 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

I think I'd just tell her that you have plans later and if she isn't done before you're ready to go that she'll have to come back to finish the job - and get paid then. That would hurry me up!

6. Apr 21, 2019
    Mrs1885

Ok. Will see how that goes.

7. Apr 21, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

luck of the draw. You got a whiner and a slacker. I hope she got finished and you made it to your Easter dinner. $120 is MORE than fair.

Rammy and B&B Happy goats like this.
  8. Apr 21, 2019
    Mrs1885

She did one pen in 6 hours and I told her she had to go because we had to leave. Six hours for one pen is ridiculous. What a waste of my day. We did make dinner though and had a great family night.

Rammy, Baymule and CntryBoy777 like this.
  9. Apr 21, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Sounds like she thought she was going to get paid to come out and play with the animals. Glad you had a good Easter dinner with your family.

B&B Happy goats and Rammy like this.
  10. Apr 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

One pen in six hours???! Holy cannoli....
    What’s up with the work ethic of some of these kids nowadays?

B&B Happy goats, Rammy and Sheepshape like this.