housing meat rabbits

Blue Skys

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been doing searches, looking at plans and racking my brain about housing for the meat rabbits I plan to get. Will y'all share your set-ups with me. I've not found much on housing the kits, once they are weaned (I don't know if they would still be called kits if they are weaned, but I'm new at this, and I'm sure you get my point), but still need to be grown out before slaughter. Can they be housed together, or do they need to be kept seperate? I've been thinking about getting californians, what size would the area need to be, I've seen 3x3 per rabbit, is that enough space?

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hubby made a wonderful hutch just for growing out our meat rabbits. it is about 2ft deep and 5ft long and 21/2 foot tall in front down to 2ft tall in back and stands 3ft off the ground. legs are landscape timbers, 2x4's and different wire and a metal roof with a solid plywood door. we have had 10 4lb rabbits at one time, 2 lg feeders and a gallon sized chicken waterer and fee choice hay. they buddied up and grew well. :D

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The answers will depend on how many breeding rabbits you will have and how much time everyday you have set aside for chores. cage size depends on the age of the rabbit. As they grow they will need more room and males and females will have to be seperated. With some math and a written down breeding schedule you will see that you can be overloaded with rabbits quickly with not that many breeders.

Blue Skys

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
currycomb said:
hubby made a wonderful hutch just for growing out our meat rabbits. it is about 2ft deep and 5ft long and 21/2 foot tall in front down to 2ft tall in back and stands 3ft off the ground. legs are landscape timbers, 2x4's and different wire and a metal roof with a solid plywood door. we have had 10 4lb rabbits at one time, 2 lg feeders and a gallon sized chicken waterer and fee choice hay. they buddied up and grew well. :D
Thank you, that is helpful!

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would suggest something like a 30x30 if you want to breed cals. or large meat breeds. though sometimes 24x24s will work for them too. I run a barn that has about 26 holes. here is my setup. i raise show rabbits. So anything that I don't sell gets butchered.

barnbuns001.jpg

barnbuns002.jpg

barnbuns007.jpg

barnbuns008.jpg

barnbuns009.jpg

barnbuns010.jpg

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1521_310rbthtchst.jpg

Here is the start to my meat rabbit area. In the background is my chicken tractor with 4 hens and the makings of a 3 sided shed for my hanging cages. The chickens will have access to the entire area for good clean-up and fertilazation. This is for a small operation where I will start out with 2 does and a buck. Maximum capacity of 2 bucks, 3 does and 2 grow out pens. I will try to post pictures as it progresses.

The lady with 4 city chickens, 4 dogs, 2 rabbits and a lizard

anthonyjames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I raise mine above my chickens in their run. You can see images here: http://gallery.me.com/anthonyjames420#100306&bgcolor=black&view=grid

In the spring I will be ripping down the old run and I am building a 18 x 40 hoop house. Then in winter my chickens will be housed with them again. The hoop house will keep the breeding rabbits for meat all the time and then I will take the kits at 6 weeks and put them in tractors to move through my yard for 6 weeks to finish them out.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I really like your cages anthonyjames. nice set up you have there. We have been having a ton of rain so have not been able to finish our shed.
We have everything we need but the plywood. Our rabbits are ready for pick-up when we are. I can't wait. I love the idea of housing the rabbits over the chickens. And it seems to work for you which gives me a good feeling about my choice to do it.

The lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 2 bunnies and more to come, and a lizard

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used suspended cages over chickens when we raised meat rabbits for 4H market sales. We cut connecting doorways between two regular cages for finishing out our market rabbits. These doorways could be closed and the cages used for singles again, when needed.

At market age, females and males do not need to be separated yet and can all be housed together. Keep in mind, market weights are 3-4 lbs. for young rabbits.

To encourage meaty haunches and well-developed loins, we placed the water in one side of the finishing cage and the food at the other, requiring the rabbits to jump through the cutout door to reach both. Worked great!

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Take a look at this website, it shows you how these people are doing it. Notice though, most of their rabbits are for the pet industry so you would want larger cages. I like the way they have done this.
http://www.freewebs.com/wiselyfamilyfarm/ourbunnybarn.htm

Very nice and clean and attractive.
Hope it helps.

The lady with 4 city chickens, 4 dogs, one bunny with more to come and a lizard.